Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First solo trip to Asia, thoughts?
[-]
  •
Kermit Offline
Stowaway

First solo trip to Asia, thoughts?
Hey guys. Lurker, first time poster, etc. I'm a late 20s Scandinavian guy planning a solo trip in Asia for a few weeks. I'm looking to visit Hong Kong, the Philippines and finally Japan. Not entirely sure about the schedule yet. I've read the city guides here and also other places. Sounds promising enough. Maybe I'll hop through Thailand (BKK) depending on plane tickets, and/or swap Hong Kong for Singapore or South Korea.

I'm not primarily travelling to pick up girls. This is my first time solo travelling, so I want to have as few expectations as possible. But I would like to have some fun if the opportunity arises. My slight existing worry is, I'm short. At least here at home. I'm 5'7" which interestingly enough is NN's height, that gives me hope. Most places I'd be considered only kinda short and not extremely short, but here in my country 6'0" is the average for young guys. It's almost like the Netherlands now. Only 5% of young guys are shorter than me and most native girls are my height even without heels, which sucks because I love petite girls and there are almost none of them around. I'm good looking (heard it lots of times) with the typical blonde and blue eyed nordic look, but so are many other Scandinavian males while being much taller. So I'm not really used to much attention from hot girls where I live, because I suspect they have better options. I also have very little real experience with day or night game/pickup, only some social circle stuff. I'm an introvert but if I get IOIs from girls that are obviously into me, I usually don't hesitate to escalate things.

During previous travels abroad, especially in Latin America, I've suddenly seen unsolicited female attention, even from attractive girls. Almost never happens here at home where I feel like a hobbit whenever I go out. I'm looking forward to not being so small compared to everyone around me on this trip and hopefully my height disadvantage will be gone until I'm back home again.

So basically I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I could expect and how I should act while travelling alone to increase my chances of getting some action. Any strategies I should be aware of, places to go, etc? Any short-ish guys with relevant experiences?
07-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

RE: First solo trip to Asia, thoughts?
Everyone in Asia is short so it's not going to be a problem.
07-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
The chicks here are like 5 foot tall its epic.
07-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
deb auchery Offline
Banned

Ukraine
Welcome Kermit

Well I would imagine a blonde haired, blue eyed Scandinavian would tear it up in Asia, as long as you like Asian girls.

It's pretty cool how you can go from one country where you're average, to another country where you'll be a god.

Out of those three countries I think Japan will produce the most for you, Phillipines is the place to go when I turn out to be wrong.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM by deb auchery.)
07-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Since coming to Asia iv become so much more interested in Japan and Korea. Korea beforehand I had no interest because I heard their women were difficult but the most stunning Asians to date I have seen have been Korean. Japanese just seem fit as fuck and I bet are fun to shag. Plus I just watched wolverine and its made me want to bang a jap chick even more.
07-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(07-27-2013, 10:39 AM)Rick91 Wrote: Since coming to Asia iv become so much more interested in Japan and Korea. Korea beforehand I had no interest because I heard their women were difficult but the most stunning Asians to date I have seen have been Korean. Japanese just seem fit as fuck and I bet are fun to shag. Plus I just watched wolverine and its made me want to bang a jap chick even more.

Lol I watched that last night and it made me want to go to Tokyo and try to get that flag.

@Kirmet

How many weeks do you have and whats your budget? What are you looking to do on this trip? (party, relax at a beach, see tourist stuff)

I would only pick one of Japan, Korea, and Singapore. And of those id pick Japan/Tokyo. If I was coming to Asia for the first time this is what id do.

Plan 1

Tokyo
Manila

Plan 2

Tokyo
Manila
Bangkok

I would skip HK, Singapore, and Korea on this trip.

Id rate the must see / experience cities / countries in Asia like this. All things considered.

1) Bangkok, Thailand
2) Tokyo, Japan
3) Manila, Philippines
4) Shanghai & Hong Kong & Beijing, China
5) Seoul, South Korea
6) Jakarta, Indonesia
7) Singapore
8) Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam
9) Taipei, Taiwan
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM by Dash.)
07-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Singapore above Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam? No way. Singapore is the dullest place on earth.
07-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
I didnt give much consideration past Jakarta. If I had to group it with much thought prob be like this. This is everything considered in order of my preference (partying, women sightseeing/tourist shit, history, culture, food, etc)

1) Bangkok
2) Tokyo
3) Manila
4) Jakarta
5) Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam
6) Hong Kong
7) Seoul
8) Shanghai
9) Beijing
10) Taipei
11) Singapore
12) Malaysia
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013, 04:47 PM by Dash.)
07-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

How does this list work...you're comparing cities to whole countries? Why is Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam lumped together?
07-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
Because if I was going on a trip to either Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam, id just go ahead and do them all at the same time. It would primarily be a sightseeing trip so staying put in one city would not be of much interest.

07-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Kermit Offline
Stowaway

Thanks for the replies so far! It's nice to hear that my height probably won't be a problem in Asia. Just as I hoped Wink

My original goal was just to visit Japan/Tokyo because I've always wanted to go there, so that's the main destination. Secondly my goal became to see how I like solo travelling, I have only gone on backpacker travels with buddies before, and it will be interesting to see how I like to do it more independently. Then later I added the Philippines because of all I've read, and the fact that they speak English there. They are also among the shortest people in the world, so it'd be interesting to maybe feel tall for a change Tongue Thailand would be a nice stop on the way because I can get a direct Dreamliner flight there for a very good price instead of having a layover in Moscow/Doha/Europe. Hong Kong was added because it's kinda China, but still not, and because of cheap plane tickets to get there and the good things I've read. But I could always skip that or limit it to two nights or so.

I'm thinking around three weeks. Money is not a problem really because I have a lot saved up, but I'd want to keep it below $3000-4000 in total. I haven't looked at my travel budget very closely yet. The less money spent, the better, but I'd rather use a bit more than compromise on my experience and comfort. I'm treating this as a once in a lifetime trip. So far I have estimated the plane tickets to cost $1700-2000 or so, depends on where I go and when. Relatively cheap hotels and hostels are what I'm looking at. I already live in one of the world's most expensive cities, so almost anywhere I go everything will be cheaper than I'm used to. Even in Tokyo.

My plans are to just wander around to see tourist stuff and experience the vastly different cultures from my own, hopefully get comfortable with solo travelling, maybe befriend some people on the way, and of course hopefully encounter a few cute girls that like me and take it from there.

Maybe skipping HK and doing Bangkok -> Manila -> Tokyo sounds like a possible great plan.. I could also possibly do them in reverse, though not sure if it would mean more expensive plane tickets all in all. Also, should I add Cebu to the list? My impression is that it's a bit different from Manila. It's also just a cheap flight or a ferry trip away.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013, 09:38 PM by Kermit.)
07-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dash's post:
  • Kermit
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
Yea man,

Bangkok
Manila
Tokyo

Would make for a great trip. 1 week in each will be just enough to get a decent taste and feel. Dont add no other cities. Save them for another trip.

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM by Dash.)
07-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes RockingForever's post:
  • Kermit
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Hong Kong is expensive and not that exciting. There's some cool enough touristy things to see and do but not somewhere I'd visit again. Bangkok is much more fun and has plenty to keep you amused.
07-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
billh Offline
Deckhand

Personally, i wouldn't recommend Manila on a first trip, unless your goal was women. If you want to go to the Philippines, i recommend you hit maybe hit Cebu and a tropical island destination instead. Or better yet, make it 8-9 days in Japan and 12 days in Thailand, so you can get out of Bangkok as well and get to know the places a bit better. And make sure you hit a beach, especially coming from frigid Scandinavia.
07-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Kermit Offline
Stowaway

(07-27-2013, 09:41 AM)deb auchery Wrote: It's pretty cool how you can go from one country where you're average, to another country where you'll be a god.

I suspect I'm not even considered average by most girls in Scandinavia just because of my height (despite being good looking otherwise). But that just makes the "upgrade" by travelling elsewhere even bigger. 5'7" here is kind of like 5'5-5'6" in UK/US. Even 5'9" is considered kinda short for young guys.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM by Kermit.)
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Find Reply