Nandyhand's travel plans
[-]
  •
Nandyhand Offline
Deckhand

New Zealand
Nandyhand's travel plans
Hey lads,

Been reading through all the old threads, all the articals etc on here for a while now, and want to become an established member! Thought i would start a thread with my travel plans and problems and keep it updated. Don't know if anyone is interested but i'll do it anyway!

So, i'm a 21 year old, ex professional road cyclist from Christchurch, New Zealand. Got 6 weeks left in my B.sc majoring in Ecology. Work in a high class bar at weekends. Have had a girlfriend for about a year now. I have a ticket booked to Bali on November 10th with a mate of mine, and from there, who knows.

We are going to head around SEA for a couple of months, exploring and visiting all of the countries we can in that time; namely Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines and Laos. Might try for Timor and Myanmar also. I have traveled around Asia a bit before and america with cycling so super excited to get out exploring on my own again after being at home for my 3 year degree.

The gf has excepted the fact im heading away, knows i will get with other girls, and doesnt mind. Weather or not i come back and meet her in Australia for her Post-grad degree is undecided.

After a couple of months in SEA, i have a few options. Returning to New Zealand is out of the question, i want to LIVE!

At the moment my options are;

-Do a dive masters internship in Phillipines or thailand for 3 months
-Explore Africa, probably NN's Cairo-Capetown or something similiar
-Head to london, crash with family, save and explore europe
-Head to Auzzie, maybe meet up with 'gf' work on farms or pubs there

Who know's what i will end up doing, anyway, thanks for all of the great posts, awesome reading about dudes who don't wanna spend there lives in an office. Will keep this updated when we get some more details for our SEA trip planned.

Nick

09-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
RE: Nandyhand's travel plans
Id suggest looking into teaching in Korea for a year. You can save 15-18,000 usd in one year easily. This will allow you plenty of time to hit up Japan, China, and experience Korea. And more traveling when you get finished with your contract.

I think you have too many countries for such a short time. 2-3 months id try to stick to Thailand, Philippines, and Indonesia primarily with short / quick stops in Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos.

Something like for 2 months

Thailand ~ 15 days
Philippines ~ 15 days
Indonesia ~ 15 days
Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos ~ 15 days

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM by Dash.)
09-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Nandyhand Offline
Deckhand

New Zealand
Cheers man, will definitly keep your advice in mind, meeting up with mate tomorrow to do some more planning. Any websites you can reccomend to look into the teaching in Korea?
09-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes RockingForever's post:
  • G_global
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Far too many countries for 2 months.

Spend those 2 months backpacking round SE Asia.

Thailand > Laos > Vietnam > Cambodia loop overland would be perfect. Fit Burma in too if you're interested.

Less is more when travelling. Seeing place just for the sake of saying you've been is pointless.

What is your budget?
09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Nandyhand Offline
Deckhand

New Zealand
Alright, will definitly keep the number of countries we try squeeze in in mind over the next month as we plan where to go once there. For this trip, we were aiming to keep it around $5000 NZD all up. At the moment we are on track for it but we have plenty more money if we find thats unrealistic once there. We will see
09-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
If you haven't done much travelling before, I'd start off in SEA. Cairo to Cape Town is hardcore and not for beginners. Plus, it will make the rest of your trips same tame afterwards.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
09-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(09-03-2013, 04:51 PM)Nandyhand Wrote: Cheers man, will definitly keep your advice in mind, meeting up with mate tomorrow to do some more planning. Any websites you can reccomend to look into the teaching in Korea?

ESLCafe.com for all your teaching English info.

I would not skip Philippines. Come to think of it with only 2 months id skip Indonesia as well. Or pick between Thailand and Indonesia. If all you want to do is smash chicks id say Indonesia/Jakarta is better than Thailand/Bangkok. If you want to visit some sick beaches and see some cool shit than id go Thailand over Indonesia. Id skip Vietnam and Laos for this trip as well.

Here is what id suggest.

Philippines ~ 26 days (Palawan 1 week then Manila the rest)
Thailand ~ 26 days (Maya Bay, Phuket 1 week then Bangkok the rest)
Cambodia ~ 7 days (Seam Reap 2 nights, Phnom Penh 5 nights)

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 12:04 AM by Dash.)
09-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
deb auchery Offline
Banned

Ukraine
I wouldn't recommend spending much time in Bali, there's not much appeal for me instead of beach breaks. There are some cool places to visit in Indonesia though, Lombok, Komodo, Rinca, Flores etc.

I too will skip Philippines when in Asia this winter, no draw cards for me at least
09-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Nandyhand Offline
Deckhand

New Zealand
Hey guys, we have extended our planned stay in SEA from 2 months to 3 months now, as we are really keen on getting around and checking out as many places as possible! Quite excited by the prospect of cheap easy ganja too now!
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
If I were you id do....

Philippines ~ 4 weeks (Boracay or Palawan, Manila)
Thailand ~ 4 weeks (Bangkok, Phuket/Ko Phi Phi)
Indonesia ~ 3 weeks (Bali, Jakarta)
Cambodia ~ 1 week (Siem Reap, Phnom Penh)

Lots of temples, lots of beaches, lots of partying, and last but not least lots of girls!

09-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Keep in mind Dash hasn't been to any of these places so is making recommendations based on what buddies told him and he read on the internet.

Quote:Quite excited by the prospect of cheap easy ganja too now!

Better hope you don't get caught as most of these countries have very draconian drug laws. Just because that guy on the beach tells you it's fine to buy it and smoke it doesn't mean that it is.

In Thailand you can be stuck in jail for a long time if you haven't got a few thousand dollars spare to pay your way out (if possible).

In Laos you can be sentenced to death for drugs in theory though it hasn't happened in over 15 years I believe. Though it's so easy to buy weed, opium and mushrooms in many places especially Vang Vieng.

I hear Phils has strict drug laws.

Cambodia is fairly lax though still illegal. Weed in food is legal there so lots of happy pizza joints around. Still would be careful though.

Your budget is a bit tight btw, $5,000 NZD is only £2500.

Whilst it's doable to spend 3 months in SE Asia on that (I spend around £700 a month living in BKK) if you are travelling around a lot, partying, doing activities and trips, taking trains and buses often, drinking a lot etc then you'll easily spend £1,000 a month if not more.

If you start trying to fly to places like Timor etc then you'll need even more for flights.
09-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Nandyhand Offline
Deckhand

New Zealand
Thanks Dash and RockingForever. Not really looking at planning the amount of time we spend in the countries atm. We are justing going to book flights that are essential, like Jakarta-Phuket, Phuket-Bangkok, and then the return flights for the Phillipines. Apart from that, everything else will be pretty flexi. We will see when we get over. We will definitly have a list of places in each country that we want to see. Thailand is sounding pretty good, with a lot to explore. We are keen to get out into the wild area's for a bit and do some hiking and camping if we can.

Will definitly be careful aroun drugs when away. Think we will stay away from everything besides weed...well thats the plan. Either way, being careful and not reckless in regards to the drugs will be number 1. Hear lots of horror stories surrounding drugs and tourists in SEA.
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
Sounds like you might be interested in Chang Mai and the surrounding areas. You need connector flights from either BKK or Phnom Penh to Manila.

Yea just sit down and prioritize things (beaches, partying, girls, nature, outdoor activities etc) Then allocate days for each country / city. After that research research research. TripAdvisor, RVF, LonelyPlanet, NNF, Google etc.

I make a google document of each city/country and organize all my info into these categories: logistics, places to see / do, side / day trips, daygame spots, nightlife, misc.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM by Dash.)
09-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Quote:Will definitly be careful aroun drugs when away. Think we will stay away from everything besides weed...well thats the plan. Either way, being careful and not reckless in regards to the drugs will be number 1. Hear lots of horror stories surrounding drugs and tourists in SEA.

Weed is still very illegal and the cops in most places won't make much distinction between weed and other stuff.

They definitely aren't going to let you off without a fine and in Thailand the fine isn't just a couple hundred baht. We're talking 10,000B+ from all I've read.

In Laos and Cambodia I've heard $100 can do it but also met a Scottish bird in Vang Vieng who got caught and had to pay $600 to get her passport back.

On your budget is flights included in that or separate?

Even though flights are cheap to most places it will add up. If they are included I would just stick with mainland SE Asia and travel over land. It's epic and your time frame is decent enough to do a nice loop.

09-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I'v heard its easier to get away with murder in thailand than it is to be caught selling yabba.
09-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Find Reply