Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best cities in China to live in
[-]
  •
Don Juan Offline
Gunner

Best cities in China to live in
I've been offered several jobs teaching English in China, but apart from Shenzhen they are all in cities I've not visited before. I've done some research on the cities but nothing beats advice from like minded individuals, so if anyone has been to these cities your thoughts would be appreciated. I have offers for jobs in Xiamen, Suzhou and probably Haikou by tomorrow, so has anyone been to these cities?
09-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
RE: Best cities in China to live in
I wish I still had my info I put together when I was contemplating going to China to teach. Spent some time researching cities.

Was mainly fixating on Shenzhen though.

Word of advice, hold out for a city you KNOW you will like. I fucked myself in Korea twice by being impatient and taking jobs outside of Seoul.
09-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
worldwidetraveler Offline
Boatswain

(09-13-2013, 11:59 PM)Dash Wrote: I wish I still had my info I put together when I was contemplating going to China to teach. Spent some time researching cities.

Confused OP, if you're going to spend thousands to relocate, I would be holding out for more concrete info from reliable sources, that have actually lived there.

Quote:I fucked myself in Korea twice by being impatient and taking jobs outside of Seoul.

You also fucked yourself by not listening to guys that have been there instead of thinking you knew everything because of you research.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 12:32 AM by worldwidetraveler.)
09-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(09-14-2013, 12:28 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote: Confused OP, if you're going to spend thousands to relocate, I would be holding out for more concrete info from reliable sources, that have actually lived there.

Didnt give him any info on China, merely stated when I was looking at teaching in China I was only eyeing Shenzhen.

Quote:You also fucked yourself by not listening to guys that have been there instead of thinking you knew everything because of you research.

I was slightly exaggerating.

My research wasn't the problem. I knew what I was getting myself into each time I came to Korea. Busan was fine and id live there again. Would try to be closer to downtown however. I could have fun in Busan no problem, the issue was my job and bosses were shit. For which there is no full proof measure to avoiding such. This go around I picked location mainly due to the job which turned out to be a good choice as it is insanely easy. Only teach 13 classes a week this semester. Minimal prep, etc. This year was about studying and saving, not partying.

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 12:49 AM by Dash.)
09-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Quote:I fucked myself in Korea twice by being impatient and taking jobs outside of Seoul.

So you fucked yourself by taking jobs outside of Seoul then you backtrack and say actually it was nothing to do with being outside of Seoul and it was the job and bosses.

It's clear that your research skills which you claim are so good you've never ever been disappointed about anywhere that you went aren't actually all that good OR (more likely) you can do all the research in the world but until you actually go there and EXPERIENCE it you'll never know for sure.

I rest my case.
09-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(09-14-2013, 01:16 AM)RockingForever Wrote: So you fucked yourself by taking jobs outside of Seoul then you backtrack and say actually it was nothing to do with being outside of Seoul and it was the job and bosses.

It's clear that your research skills which you claim are so good you've never ever been disappointed about anywhere that you went aren't actually all that good OR (more likely) you can do all the research in the world but until you actually go there and EXPERIENCE it you'll never know for sure.

I rest my case.

You miss the exaggeration part? Was mainly just accentuating the advice I gave to the OP.

Busan is a nice city with plenty of places to go at night which I concluded before going and confirmed when I got there. My apartment was alittle out of the way which was annoying, but the main issue was the my job which is well documented on my first Korean thread. Was not disappointed in Busan the city.

The place I am at now HAD a good club which closed right before I got here. Just shitty luck.

Yes I bitch and moan about not being in central Seoul, but like I pointed out I didnt come to Korea this go around to party. I came to study and save money. Not living in central Seoul was advantageous to my overall agenda.

You have no case to rest.

09-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
I've been to Xiamen 5 or 6 times. Very nice island town, good food, it is considered one of the "cleanest" cities in China. I think relatively to other cities in China they have a large expat community there. Not sure what else I can say about it... I think it's a relatively famous destination for visits within China and they have a big university there.
09-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don Juan Offline
Gunner

Yes I've heard Kunming is one of the nicest cities in China, its location would be great for short trips to some stunning locations.
I won't be spending thousands to relocate, just the cost of a plain ticket to get there and money saved in case of an emergency or early exist. I know what you mean about being sure about a place before going there, it would be frustrating to travel all that way to a new job only to dislike the city.

Xiamen does sound like one of the most livable cities in China, i read its one of the least polluted too along with Haikou and Kunming.
What are the beaches in Xiamen like 007?
09-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nelson Offline
Banned

I am a traveller and I think Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou are the best cities to live in china. I visited these cities personally in my one month tour to china. These cities figure on top of the list of people's choice of ideal places to live in China. These are also great attractions for travellers.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 06:18 PM by nelson.)
10-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Xiaoyao Offline
Deckhand

I find Xiamen and Suzhou to be utterly boring. Haikou is nice since it's on the northern coast of hainain, china's most southern province and very own tropical island. I have only spent 2 days in Haikou but if it's anything like Sanya, on the southern coast of Hainan, where I spent a lot more time, you'll have nice beaches, beach bars with thailand style parties, plenty of cute and curious tourists coming through and a general SEA feel.

Generally, China's tier 1 cities are great places to live. Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and to a lesser extent Guangzhou
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2013, 10:45 PM by Xiaoyao.)
10-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
I wouldnt live any any city without it having multiple clubs that play western top40/rap/r&b/hiphop.

Latin music bars/clubs would be a huge plus as well. Cant stand Asia and their obsession with house and techno. I cant dance to that shit! lol

10-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
simonli Offline
Stowaway

I could have fun in Busan no problem, the issue was my job and bosses were shit. For which there is no full proof measure to avoiding such. This go around I picked location mainly due to the job which turned out to be a good choice as it is insanely easy. Only teach 13 classes a week this semester. Minimal prep, etc. This year was about studying and saving, not partying.
[/quote]

Oh man, the word is fool-proof.
11-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
School and English were never a priority growing up. Thanks for the correction non the less.
11-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Sexiback Offline
Lieutenant

^^ well it's good then that you aren't involved in the education of future generations then Dashy...

Oh wait...

Dashy, you're still in the larger Seoul metro area, you just needed to do what all korean students on a buget do, stay out all night, sleep in bathhouse or DVD room. Your problem has been you never got a group going to share costs with. And you were told by numerous people six or eight months ago to get some friends.

When I visited china in...2006 no one outside shanghai and beijing spoke a word of english. Like none. I was communicating with my hands and feet. Most people had never seen a caucasian face before. I doubt everything has changed since then. I'd stick to the big big cities with an international subpopulation, at least there you're treated like another human being.
11-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(11-19-2013, 06:13 PM)Sexyback Wrote: Dashy, you're still in the larger Seoul metro area, you just needed to do what all korean students on a buget do, stay out all night, sleep in bathhouse or DVD room. Your problem has been you never got a group going to share costs with. And you were told by numerous people six or eight months ago to get some friends.

Huh?

I am not really in the Seoul metro area. I am an about 2 hours south in another city of 1 million plus.

I dont like to stay out all night, neither do I want to sleep in a bathhouse. Dvd rooms are not cheap.

All that is beside the point as I didnt come to Korea to party. Here to save money and finish my teaching license / program.
11-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Find Reply