Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which blog do u guys recommend 4 newbies? Wordpress, tumblr, weebly, blogger?
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Which blog do u guys recommend 4 newbies? Wordpress, tumblr, weebly, blogger?
Hey guys, one of my friends wants to start doing a blog with youtube vids but is a total newbie. I've only heard of Wordpress, Tumblr, Blogger and Weebly. Which would you guys recommend for a total newb and why? It will be for girl's nutrition so my main concern for her was that she could back up her data in case the website ever went out of business/shut down. Also, to have a search box so somebody could search for say breast cancer and find old posts.

Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
11-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
RE: Which blog do u guys recommend 4 newbies? Wordpress, tumblr, weebly, blogger?
-Wordpress
-WooThemes (Premiere)

I want to make a website myself. Will have to wait till I get all my work related stuff lined up for August. Then I can get in the think tank.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM by Dash.)
11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

RE: Which blog do u guys recommend 4 newbies? Wordpress, tumblr, weebly, blogger?
Don't even think about using anything other than Wordpress. Tumblr, Blogger and Weebly are garbage in comparison. WP is the internet standard and allows you to do just about anything,

Dash how come you are recommending themes when you've never made a website?

For a blog the best themes IME (and the only 2 I now use on my sites) are Genesis Generate and Wp-Radiance by Solopress. Not only do they look good but very flexible and powerful. Wp-radiance has amazed me at what it can do.

Think it was $49, well worth it as can use it on all my sites and even create sites for others and sell to them.
11-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Thanks RF and Dash! I'm new to this so don't know how it all works. Do you know if you can back up all your data? I'm just thinking that years could be spent on your site and if for whatever reason it got lost, you could at least reload it somewhere else.

Thanks in advance
Kaizen (Continuous Improvement) My personal journey of improving myself as a man and finding happiness

https://kaizenmanofsteel.wordpress.com
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM by fucksong.)
11-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Quote:I'm new to this so don't know how it all works.

Dash doesn't know how it works either.

Yes of course you can back up your sites. There are various back up plugins you can install which auto back up every 'X' days and send to your email or upload online.

It's happened to some big websites where they had no backup in place then were hacked and lost it all so you have to make sure you have a backup system in place.
11-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(11-01-2013, 05:31 PM)RockingForever Wrote: Dash how come you are recommending themes when you've never made a website?

Because I can.

Quote:Thanks RF and Dash! I'm new to this so don't know how it all works. Do you know if you can back up all your data? I'm just thinking that years could be spent on your site and if for whatever reason it got lost, you could at least reload it somewhere else.

Thanks in advance

Yes you can back up your data.

11-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

So you've never created a WP blog or used any themes but you are recommending one? On what basis is your recommendation based?

Quote:Yes you can back up your data.

Stop copying what I've already said Dash. He's looking for advice from people who have actually used the platform before.

11-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(11-01-2013, 11:45 PM)RockingForever Wrote: So you've never created a WP blog or used any themes but you are recommending one?

Correct

Quote:On what basis is your recommendation based?

The first rec was common sense. The second rec was from my personal style / taste in regards to themes.

Quote:Stop copying what I've already said Dash. He's looking for advice from people who have actually used the platform before.

LOL at copying you.

Backing up data is common sense.

I am sure Fuksong would take and appreciates any advice I give. Not saying that in a bragging way but he has met me and knows how much I look into things that interest me. Webpage creation and themes would fall under that category.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 12:24 AM by Dash.)
11-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes RockingForever's post:
  • geekindex
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Sorry but using a theme as a visitor to a website and using it as a webmaster are so totally different that your advice is useless.

What looks good is meaningless if on the back end it's a nightmare to customize, difficult to use, doesn't do what you want it to do.

You have no idea what is and isn't a good theme and until you've built various websites and used a lot of themes you'll never know.

On my first website I thought the free theme I used was great (LOL!) until I actually used a premium theme and saw what a paid theme could do.

I've even had custom themes designed as I couldnt find something that was fit to purpose for some sites.

As for whether you can back up...sure it seems like common sense but do you actually know for FACT? No you probably don't. You are guessing.
11-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
Wordpress.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
11-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Broon Offline
Lieutenant

Beyond any more bickering I'd like to say thanks for the input from you lot; I've been wanting to start a travel blog for ages, have messaged Zolo on twitter about it, and yet still panic about setting up a blog. It sounds silly saying panic, but whilst I'm wanting to create something different from the NN blog, I measure quality of content and style against this site.

Still trying to work out a name, and refining my writing style, however I'm aiming to have a travel blog/site set up for the new year.

Thanks again for the input and Zolo, good luck in the big apple.
11-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
THECAPTAINPOWER Offline
Boatswain

WORDPRESS. I started with blogger because I didn't know any better, and it cost me traffic.

To be honest, If you are looking to make $$ I don't even think an individual blog is the way to go. I'm working on doing a blog aggregator like "vivalamanosphere" next. Blog aggregators are great, you don't even have to really write, just keep linking other people's articles.

And get on twitter....
Retired Manosphere Blogger

Author: "Work out, lose weight, and stop being single" on amazon.com
"Don't get married because you are tired of drinking" on amazon.com
"The Official Las Vegas Pool Party Workout" on amazon.com

11-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(11-02-2013, 04:21 AM)RockingForever Wrote: Sorry but using a theme as a visitor to a website and using it as a webmaster are so totally different that your advice is useless.

No shit Sherlock.

Quote:What looks good is meaningless if on the back end it's a nightmare to customize, difficult to use, doesn't do what you want it to do.

Again, no shit Sherlock.

Quote:You have no idea what is and isn't a good theme and until you've built various websites and used a lot of themes you'll never know.

What ever you say.

Quote:On my first website I thought the free theme I used was great (LOL!) until I actually used a premium theme and saw what a paid theme could do.

You thought a free theme was great?!? LMAO Like with your travels, you obviously did little research before hand. Free wordpress theme might be good for a 14 year old girls diary blog.

Quote:I've even had custom themes designed as I couldnt find something that was fit to purpose for some sites.

There are themes for almost every purpose. Again, you due diligence is lacking.

Quote:As for whether you can back up...sure it seems like common sense but do you actually know for FACT? No you probably don't. You are guessing.

Yes I do know it for a fact. Just like I know for a fact the moon orbits the Earth.

@Fuksong

Tell your friend to head over to the WarriorForum. Lots of solid info and advice to be found and had there.
11-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Dash you are the biggest idiot the internet has ever seen.

Not once have you set up a blog or used a WP theme and you know everything about it, what's good and what isn't, are making recommendation and telling people like me who make a living online that I don't know what I'm talking about and that there are themes for every purpose.

There wasn't a theme for what I wanted you utter moron, even if I bought a premium theme I would have to get it heavily modified and it would be just as expensive as getting an Indian dude to make one from scratch.

I know what I'm talking about. You don't have a clue.

Avoid the WSO section at Warrior Forum like the plague fucksong, full of newbies flogging make money guides that they've never put into action.

Newbies making money from other newbies. Dash would fit right in actually he can give advice on making money online despite having never done it. He knows for a FACT that it can be done so no point in letting that get in the way of not having any real experience, just pretend.
11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
(11-02-2013, 02:20 PM)RockingForever Wrote: Dash you are the biggest idiot the internet has ever seen.

Someones jimmies are rustled lol

Quote:Not once have you set up a blog or used a WP theme and you know everything about it, what's good and what isn't, are making recommendation and telling people like me who make a living online that I don't know what I'm talking about and that there are themes for every purpose.

Where did I say anything about how much I know about setting up a blog using a WP theme?

Let me help you out I didn't.

Where did I say you didn't know what your talking about?

Let me help you out again, I didn't.

You always deliver on the lulz, i'll give you that.

Quote:There wasn't a theme for what I wanted you utter moron, even if I bought a premium theme I would have to get it heavily modified and it would be just as expensive as getting an Indian dude to make one from scratch.

Haha dem jimmies!

Btw, what was this super differentiated theme / purpose of your website that one can't find on the numerous theme website providers?

Quote:I know what I'm talking about. You don't have a clue.

LOL I recommend WP and you recommended WP. Yea, I am clueless.

Fuksong was asking for very basic advice, not the ins and outs for making a website, making money, and managing a WP theme.

Funny meltdown RF. lol

11-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Find Reply