• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travelling Solo Vs. With Friend
[-]
  •
R123456
Unregistered

Travelling Solo Vs. With Friend
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about travelling alone for like 6 months, maybe visiting most of SEA or an epic Mexico City - Rio.

I believe travelling alone sucks though. No story sharing, less craziness and more going out of your way to hang out with ppl you would normally never hang out with. Or do you guys value your independence?

11-07-2013, 09:18 PM
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
RE: Travelling Solo Vs. With Friend
Solo. However my last trip felt like it got to a point where I wished I had someone to travel with as its a good change as well as the story sharing factor. For a 6 month trip I'd like to do 4 months solo, 2 months with friends not in that order though. You need a friend thinking on the same wavelength as you, otherwise it will cause problems and won't be as much fun.
11-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
I voted solo also. Depends on if your friend can be a good wing or not. But like shanked said, maybe change it up. Few months with a bud, few months solo.

Is this your first trip? If so, I's def say solo. You'll grow more
Kaizen (Continuous Improvement) My personal journey of improving myself as a man and finding happiness

https://kaizenmanofsteel.wordpress.com
11-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
It's easy enough to meet people on the way. But having a solid group of mates while on an adventure I imagine can't be topped. Iv got 3 mates I'm meeting in Thailand this Christmas for a month of carnage. I'm not going to wank the whole trip girls are the only ones aloud to stimulate my dong. and will start pipelining soon too.
11-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
undertheradar Offline
Banned

Sweden
Like all things it depends
11-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Astraeos Offline
Lieutenant

(11-07-2013, 09:18 PM)CPTR Wrote: Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about travelling alone for like 6 months, maybe visiting most of SEA or an epic Mexico City - Rio.

I believe travelling alone sucks though. No story sharing, less craziness and more going out of your way to hang out with ppl you would normally never hang out with. Or do you guys value your independence?

Yup, traveling alone sucks.
Thats why you make friends when you get there.

Your best bet is to meet people while there. i've made many close friends in the places I've been to (other expat guys, foreign students, locals, etc)

I'll be in Asia in 6 months, if you still happen to be there.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 12:44 AM by Astraeos.)
11-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes RockingForever's post:
  • No Pain No Gain
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

If you can get one really good mate who you don't easily fall out with to travel with you it can be great fun, me and the same mate traveled Europe and SE Asia together and had a riot, we still talk about shit from those trips now years later and probably always will.

I'm not sure a group of mates would work out. Too likely to be arguments and everyone wanting to do different shit all the time.

Solo is good as well though. Can meet people whilst traveling and do whatever you want whenever you like.
11-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
R123456
Unregistered

Okay nice guys. I like that style RF. It seems though that if you're travelling alone, backpacking culture is important, so SEA would be better than SA
11-08-2013, 04:51 AM
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
I've tried it every way. Solo, a friend, two, three, four, five.

It's almost always better to travel with (like-minded) friends than travel alone imo.

For me, 4 is the magic number. Every night is a party, you can split taxis instead of getting buses and you can rent amazing apartments. Love it.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 06:14 AM by Zolo.)
11-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
worldwidetraveler Offline
Boatswain

I kind of like traveling solo. You can do what ever you want without worrying about your travel companion. It can get a little lonely if you are hitting a lot of spots as if you were on vacation. It isn't too bad if you stick to a location for a period of time because you end up meeting people if you are of the social type.

I never had a problem going to a bar solo and having a good time.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2013, 07:26 AM by worldwidetraveler.)
11-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
R123456
Unregistered

Cool, I am definitely considering it now, and I'll remember what you said wwtraveller, sticking to a location for some time seems like a good idea!
11-08-2013, 08:39 AM
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Quote:Okay nice guys. I like that style RF. It seems though that if you're travelling alone, backpacking culture is important, so SEA would be better than SA

S. America is better for backpacking solo than SE Asia IME.

SEA gets banded around as the ultimate backpacker destination and the best spot for your first backpacker trip and in a way it is because it's so cheap, safe and easy to get around.

Everything is set up for backpackers and you don't even need to leave your hotel or guesthouse to sort out your next bus or train trip.

BUT SE Asia doesn't have a big hostel network. It's mostly guest houses with private rooms and the hostels there are (mostly just in the big cities like BKK and CM) are more expensive for a dorm bed than a private guest house room.

So you can struggle to meet people to hang out or travel with unless you really try to. Like going up to strangers in bars and restaurants and striking up convos on buses and forcing yourself onto groups of people. There's no hostel dorm room or common area to meet in.

Where as in South America it's too expensive to stay in guesthouses or hotels so everyone backpacking is in dorm rooms. The traveling isn't so easy. You need to do all the work yourself for organizing trains and buses and it's rare for the hostels to arrange onward travel for you but you are constantly meeting people in your hostel to hang out and travel with without trying.

On the downside South America has much larger distances (was on buses for 27hrs!), it's more dangerous, fewer people speak English (but basic Spanish is so easy!) and it's more expensive.
11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
R123456
Unregistered

Thanks for the elaboration RockingForever, great help. I heard about this guesthouse culture yeah, I will see what I can do. The fact that South America is dangerous actually makes me want to book a flight right now haha.
11-08-2013, 10:47 PM
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

It's not that dangerous really but more than SE Asia. Didn't get into any trouble myself but met a few people who were robbed and had stuff stolen, nothing too serious.
11-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
R123456
Unregistered

Maybe If you would travel from Mexico City to Rio and go into dangerous colombian and mexican territories, or some parts of Venezuela? Should be able to find some excitement.
11-08-2013, 11:30 PM