• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to get money ASAP for Africa trip
[-]
  •
Broon Offline
Lieutenant

Need to get money ASAP for Africa trip
Thread title partially explains part of the story;

A few weeks back I remember reading a thread from another poster, can't remember who, but basically was in his early to mid twenties, sick of his life, and wanted change. I am now also in this position, after quitting my shitty retail job, leaving with little money, to pursue a better life, and embrace optimism.

Unfortunately as we're all aware finances play a big part of success, and I have little of that, am currently unemployed, though looking at picking up a TEFL job in the interim.

At the core of this story is my lust for adventure, which was reignited after a trip to London this past weekend to meet up with an Aussie mate. He has been on the road for 16 months, tired of his lawyer life back home, and has wandered across every continent since then.

After a few beers he proposed that later this year he and I take on a trip, and I was enamoured. We discussed various routes and whittled it down to a transcontinental voyage through southern Africa. Despite my current limitations, I wasn't going to say no.

What I need now is advice on how I can make money quickly and feasibly. I know many of you rake it in through online ventures, and a multitude of other means too, and I want a slice of that pie. I need roughly 4 to 5 grand to make this happen, and whilst I'll be trying to get a conventional job in the mean time, I want to hear your advice on how I can make serious money out with traditional routes.

06-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
RE: Need to get money ASAP for Africa trip
quick buck ..means something that may get you in trouble///most other options require time investment
I am old school - so no good here..perhaps 007 can help ? Deb is giving good advice too
06-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Congo Democratic Republic
I hope you know that 4 or 5 grand won't last long in Africa. Africa is really expensive, unless you have tons of time and courage and you go on foot, sleep in tent, take mini vans, etc.
06-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
R123456
Unregistered

(06-27-2014, 06:36 PM)nescio Wrote: I hope you know that 4 or 5 grand won't last long in Africa. Africa is really expensive, unless you have tons of time and courage and you go on foot, sleep in tent, take mini vans, etc.

A friend of mine hitchhiked through Africa. They slept in tents, usually set up near a police station. I am not saying you should do this as well because it's not the way to score some chicks, but you could consider it as it's really cheap.
06-27-2014, 07:18 PM
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Partying costs money ... that is if you wanna go to fancy clubs where the hottest chicks are, 8 euro for a beer. But chicks are FUCKING hot. In Addis Ababa you see several 9's looking like top models.
06-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Broon Offline
Lieutenant

(06-26-2014, 10:49 PM)deb auchery Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 08:49 PM)Broon Wrote: Thread title partially explains part of the story;

A few weeks back I remember reading a thread from another poster, can't remember who, but basically was in his early to mid twenties, sick of his life, and wanted change. I am now also in this position, after quitting my shitty retail job, leaving with little money, to pursue a better life, and embrace optimism.

Unfortunately as we're all aware finances play a big part of success, and I have little of that, am currently unemployed, though looking at picking up a TEFL job in the interim.

At the core of this story is my lust for adventure, which was reignited after a trip to London this past weekend to meet up with an Aussie mate. He has been on the road for 16 months, tired of his lawyer life back home, and has wandered across every continent since then.

After a few beers he proposed that later this year he and I take on a trip, and I was enamoured. We discussed various routes and whittled it down to a transcontinental voyage through southern Africa. Despite my current limitations, I wasn't going to say no.

What I need now is advice on how I can make money quickly and feasibly. I know many of you rake it in through online ventures, and a multitude of other means too, and I want a slice of that pie. I need roughly 4 to 5 grand to make this happen, and whilst I'll be trying to get a conventional job in the mean time, I want to hear your advice on how I can make serious money out with traditional routes.

You are making the right decision with the English Teaching, it's the most reliable way to work and travel there is. I wish I had done the same when I was younger instead of sitting in some boring office learning fuck all

To save up for my first big trip back in 2003 I was Telemarketing for a while, I didn't have many jobs before but quickly discovered I had a knack for sales. I was making more than my manager even, I saved up £3500, which was quite a lot back then. I then went to Australia for a year and traveled around SE Asia.

Starting a successful online venture takes time and persistence. You must prepare yourself for when something goes wrong and you are down to your last £10. But it is a learning process, and the feeling of being in a far off land without a pot to piss in makes you stronger, you can say to yourself "Whatever happens I don't want to be in that situation again"

Deb, I always knew you'd provide sound advice and support, and thank you for that. Once I've got these final assessments out the road I'll be on the TEFL bandwagon asap.

Whilst it sounds corny as fuck I needed a boot up my arse to get my life in gear and I need some of those learning experiences to get a grip of 'the real world'. Since I've already made my first plunge into the unknown by quitting my job taking up a new foreign venture could be exactly what I need.

@Nescio, yeah sure it ain't a hell of a lot of money, but I'll be living on a budget and plus I'll maybe only be away for 3/4 months tops. Alternatives were traversing India and Sri Lanka, or Brazil, Argentina and Chile, though Southern Africa is the favourite. Regardless of where we end up, it isn't going to be cheap unless we live like utter scumbags, though whatever the outcome facing us I don't mind as it's all life experience and good to test out your adaptability skills.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 02:03 AM by Broon.)
06-28-2014, 01:58 AM
Website Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes nescio's post:
  • Alex
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

It's def. doable if you don't do expensive safaris and have a lot of time and can sacrifice a lot of luxury. It's gonna be kickass. Which countries do you wanna cross? Africa is really the shit.
06-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Find Reply