• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is BURNING MAN
[-]
  •
007 Game II Offline
Stowaway

Heart  This is BURNING MAN
edit
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014, 07:48 AM by 007 Game II.)
09-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 3 users Like 007 Game's post:
  • Max, Rick91, The Realness
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
RE: This is BURNING MAN
There is a saying among Burners - "explaining Burning Man to someone who wasn't there is like explaining sex to a virgin". That's very true and why first time Burners are referred to as virgins. It is simply impossible to explain the Burning Man vibe and universe, but I'll do my best:

Burning Man is a week long gathering of some 70,000 people in a temporary city in Black Rock Desert in Nevada - Black Rock City. People live in tents, vans, RVs, yurts and every temporary structure you can imagine. Every year everything is built from scratch and nothing is left behind. The city is so large that it will take you more than an hour to bike from one side of it to the other and it is impossible to see it all, even in a week.

Because of the temporary nature of the city everything is brought in and nothing (but ice and coffee) is sold. Money is useless, you will not see advertisements, stores or brand names. People live on what they bring and on exchanging and gifting what they have with each other.

I've handed out food, drinks, batteries, Polaroid photos, clothing and was gifted the same. I had less than 24 hours for shopping so I was missing many essentials. Gifting had saved me. Many people prepare fro Burning Man six months in advance.

I was also gifted a 30 minutes flight above the City by a nice pilot who brings his small plane every year to the BRC airport and takes up people for a joyride for no reason other than... being nice to others. How awesome is that?

In Black Rock City everything is allowed and self expression is encouraged. Everybody walks around in beautiful self made costumes and often with nothing at all. Nudity is everywhere.

Sharing is not limited to physical objects. Everybody is encouraged to share their talents. Every day hundreds of workshop take place throughout the city on every subject imaginable. Naked Yoga, Tantra, dancing of every kind, wine tasting, foot massage workshops, magic, fortune telling, fire eating, you name it.... if you want to give a workshop yourself just sign up in advance for the event to be published in the guidebook or set up a sign in front of your camp.

As you can imagine Burning Man attracts the most open, liberal, spiritual and hippie people on the planet. Everybody is friendly and "because it is Burning Man" you can feel free to do ANYTHING you want. You can walk up to ANYONE and strike up a conversion, ask to have a bite from whatever they are eating (they will usually give you the whole thing), or just ask them for a hug and then move on. I was hugged and kissed, a bunch of times, with no reason by complete strangers.

A sense of an open community saturates everything and everybody and there is no escaping from it. The most common conversion topic between burners is that "this is how the real world should be like".

The city is shaped as a clock and is built around an empty central area - the Playa. - where hundreds of art installations are scattered around and where hundreds of Art Cars drive around aimlessly. Some Art Cars are huge dancing platforms, some are beautifully lit and designed, others are just silly but they are all playful, fun and interactive. Most of the art installations are interactive too - you can climb them, walk inside them, manipulate them, change them. You are meant to experience the art, not just look at it.

And then there are the parties. At every single moment hundreds of large and small parties will take place around the city and the Playa. Every music style imaginable, from live big-band to every type of electronic, with hundreds of people at each party, and often free drinks. Why the free drinks? Because it's burning man. Everything is free and everybody wants to give back to the community.

At the night of the Burn (Burning the Man) I ended up with at the Orgy Dome with a girl I picked up at one of the parties. I slept maybe 3-4 hours a night on average and at two of the nights didn't sleep at all, I just went on until mid day the next and had a short nap, before going out again.

When the sun sets down everybody covers themselves with brightly lit clothing. Glowing sticks, light up hats, light up coats and bras, El Wires and even just fire (real one) is used to light up clothing. My camp mates brought 2000 glowing sticks and by the end of the week they were all gone.

One more feature of Burning Man is it's unique location - the desert. It is a harsh and ever changing environment, extremely hot during the day, cold at night, one that can rapidly change from beautiful clear sky one minute to a treacherous sand storm the next. One must always walk around with sun glasses and head protection which adds up to the already special Burning Man fashion.

But all this is really just a description of Burning Man. It is impossible to describe how special the vibe and energy of the City is and how it changes everyone who is there. I'm already planning my camp for next year, will perhaps give a workshop or two, and will arrive a few days early to volunteer in building the city. It's a life chancing experience and is highly recommended for anyone.
09-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Jesus Christ when I heard you talking about it I thought it was some sort of music festival like T in the park but in the desert. What you described sounds awesome.
09-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
The Realness Offline
Lieutenant

sounds interesting...how easy is it to fuck over there? from what you describe it sounds like some 60s hippie shit so how liberal are they? Compare it to your point of view on casual sex and monogomy Smile, which we already know about
09-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
well, I had no plans to pull at all because I wanted to just enjoy it and not think about gaming girls at all, and I still ended up in the Orgy dome... You could walk up to anyone and strike a conversation easily, everybody is either drunk or high, many girls walk half naked... it would be very easy. So I met this girl and she was so into me and couldn't stop kissing me and telling me how awesome I was, and going to the orgy dome was on my "to do" list, so I just asked her if she'd like to go there and she said yes... everybody there is "up for anything" just because it's Burning Man. I think I'll write a "story" post about it and about a few other nights there.

Guys, if you do just one thing next year, Burning Man should be it.

09-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
The Realness Offline
Lieutenant

so orgy house is basically like a swingers club?? what are the rules to get in. And what kind of stuff goes on in there??

Is weed legal at burning man?

Is there any police or any security to keep an eye on things?
09-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
No, drugs are not legal and there are cops / undercover cops everywhere. But there are tons of drugs there and most people do them. It's not exactly a swingers club, I got the feeling that it was mostly couples who wanted to fuck and needed a place or people who wanted to check a V on their "to do list" for Burning Man. But I might be wrong. I think during the day the older folks go there and swing (actual swingers) and at night it's the younger crowed. But I bet if me and my girl would approach another couple, they might have swing with us... I just didn't see it happen in the hour I was there. You cannot come in as a single man, unless you stay in their camp. Different camps allow people to stay there for $ and provide food and other stuff. I would personally never go to a camp, I rather set up my own camp.
09-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
Bump. Max I see you read it last year.
09-20-2015, 01:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
How was your experience this year 007 @ BM , given that you are not BM virgin no more ? Any stories to share ?

I am curious as in some cases if you come to the same place again or attend the same event year after year e.g. BM, the previous familiarity sometimes can be a double sword.

(09-20-2015, 01:16 AM)007 Game Wrote: Bump. Max I see you read it last year.

09-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
It's still amazing but nothing beats being there for the first time because it's so so different from anything you've ever seen before. I absolutely think it's something each and every one of you MUST do at least once.
09-28-2015, 06:28 AM
Find Reply