• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just arrived in Saint Petersburg
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
  • deb auchery, nnomad123
Don
Unregistered

Just arrived in Saint Petersburg
Holy Shit! This place is fucking great.

I arrived here late Monday night. I had to meet my landlord, so I had a couple chicks translate a phone call for me, which they were glad to do. After the call, they insisted on giving me a ride to my apartment, giving me their numbers, and adding them to VK.

Pretty good start.

You are constantly getting eye fucked on the street, even by chicks with their dudes draped around them. It's great.

Having only been here a couple of days, I've only just started a mamba account and one on badoo, today. I have a date lined up each of the next 3 nights. I am not sure what to expect from these dates, really. I am sitting here reading up on Russian gaming waiting for this chick to meet me at my place.

Spb has a ton of potential. It should be a good year to say the least.
09-04-2014, 02:25 AM
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
RE: Just arrived in Saint Petersburg
Hey man ! Sounds exciting and happy for your new adventures to come. When you have s minute, could you snap a pic here and there to give a feel of the girls's street fashion and vibe?

Thanks
09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
That's exciting bro. I'm considering doing a masters at the European University in Spb. (It's the only uni in Russia that excepts American financial aid).

The city ticks a lot of boxes for me. Big. Beautiful architecture. Cultured. I'm a bit of an intellectual and walking the same streets that Doesteovsky, Tolstoy,etc. walked just does it for me. The fact that it's loaded with 18 yr old Russian girls is icing on the cake.

When you get a chance, drop some info on the city itself, the logistics,etc..

And how did you go about finding an apartment?
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014, 11:01 AM by SpecialEd.)
09-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

(09-04-2014, 10:59 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: That's exciting bro. I'm considering doing a masters at the European University in Spb. (It's the only uni in Russia that excepts American financial aid).

The city ticks a lot of boxes for me. Big. Beautiful architecture. Cultured. I'm a bit of an intellectual and walking the same streets that Doesteovsky, Tolstoy,etc. walked just does it for me. The fact that it's loaded with 18 yr old Russian girls is icing on the cake.

When you get a chance, drop some info on the city itself, the logistics,etc..

And how did you go about finding an apartment?

This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment (IMARES program). I was not able to receive my grad plus loan, so I decided to hit the dorms for the 1st semester, teach English, and then get an apartment the 2nd semester. I am the only American in this one dorm which is pretty neat. You really shouldn't have any problem finding an apartment. If you're planning on coming here, there is a facebook group and many people post there looking for roommates all the time.

From what the locals have told me, that Saint Petersburg is often romanticized in Russia which is why the women flock here.

Depending on what your long term goals are, EUSP can be an asset when looking for a job.

09-04-2014, 08:47 PM
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
fellow imares consider-er here
09-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
^It's a small world. Yea, the IMARES program looks pretty solid. I'd be doing it mainly for the social aspect. But if I wanted a career in politics/diplomacy later on, it could be useful.

Don, could you not get a regular Stafford graduate loan for the program? The plus loan requires good credit, which I certainly dont have.
09-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Don
if I recall correctly you were based out of Buffalo NY
Now you find yourself in St. Petersburg Russia.....
Congratulations Brother ! This is what I am talking about !
Taking your life to another dimension ....you will have memorable run !

Cheers ! you have earned nomad status !
09-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

(09-05-2014, 12:22 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: ^It's a small world. Yea, the IMARES program looks pretty solid. I'd be doing it mainly for the social aspect. But if I wanted a career in politics/diplomacy later on, it could be useful.

Don, could you not get a regular Stafford graduate loan for the program? The plus loan requires good credit, which I certainly dont have.

I did get the Stafford loan.

As for the plus loan you're talking about, that is not true. The grad plus loan simply requires you not to have adverse credit history which is having something go in default or have become delinquent within the last 90 days. As it turns out, I was declined. My dad, who actually has a shittier credit score than me, cosigned. And since my father does not have an adverse credit history, it was accepted.

(09-05-2014, 01:10 PM)Max Wrote: Don
if I recall correctly you were based out of Buffalo NY
Now you find yourself in St. Petersburg Russia.....
Congratulations Brother ! This is what I am talking about !
Taking your life to another dimension ....you will have memorable run !

Cheers ! you have earned nomad status !

Yes, you are indeed correct. I love your enthusiasm. Russia is certainly different from what I've been accustomed to, but perhaps since I am living in Saint Petersburg, it is not as much of a culture shock. I recall last year living in Sarajevo was much more of a culture shock than anything else.

We will see where this experience takes me from here
09-06-2014, 10:44 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
  • nnomad123, ShankedCorpse
Don
Unregistered

Proud to say that last night I collected my first Russian flag!

I've been talking with this chick on VK for a while. We actually moved to Saint Petersburg at the same time. She just finished a year long stay in Canada for school and instead of moving back to her house in Eastern Russia, she got a place in Spb.

This was the 3rd time we have hung out. She invited me to her place which was in the middle of nowhere, about an hour by walking/metro....whatever. We began watching a movie and she appeared pretty apprehensive about doing anything more than making out. I stopped in the middle of kissing her and asked her what her problem was. She tried to explain but she couldn't get the words to come out. After another half hour of watching a movie we began kissing again and she escalated unusually quick and before I knew it her pants were off!

I love the potential here.

I have a (first) date tonight with this chick I met on badoo tonight. I told her how tired I was and was unsure if I was going to be able to meet her. I said the only way we can hangout tonight is if she would come over, which she agreed. Let's see how this works out
09-07-2014, 08:09 PM
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(09-06-2014, 10:44 PM)Don Wrote:
(09-05-2014, 12:22 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: ^It's a small world. Yea, the IMARES program looks pretty solid. I'd be doing it mainly for the social aspect. But if I wanted a career in politics/diplomacy later on, it could be useful.

I did get the Stafford loan.

As for the plus loan you're talking about, that is not true. The grad plus loan simply requires you not to have adverse credit history which is having something go in default or have become delinquent within the last 90 days. As it turns out, I was declined. My dad, who actually has a shittier credit score than me, cosigned. And since my father does not have an adverse credit history, it was accepted.

Good to hear about the plus loan. The tuition is quite low for an MA so I think it should more than cover the cost.

My aim would be to take out as much loans as possible. I don't plan on returning to the U.S so for me...it's free money.

How are you liking St. Pete, aside from the girls? Is it a 'liveable' place? By that I mean, good public transport, easy access to stores, decent cafes/restaurants, gyms, parks to walk in,etc..

09-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
deb auchery Offline
Banned

Ukraine
Great to hear you are in SPB. Look forward to picking your brains about the city.

I have been interested in what day to day Russians think about the situation in Ukraine, would be good to know how many people in SPB support their president, perhaps higher than other regions as Putin is from SPB
09-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
The Realness Offline
Lieutenant

(09-09-2014, 06:38 PM)deb auchery Wrote: Great to hear you are in SPB. Look forward to picking your brains about the city.

I have been interested in what day to day Russians think about the situation in Ukraine, would be good to know how many people in SPB support their president, perhaps higher than other regions as Putin is from SPB

my boy just came back from there. majority love putin. but a lot of that has to do wit the picture they paint on russian news
09-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpecialEd's post:
  • TideRide
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(09-10-2014, 01:03 AM)The Realness Wrote:
(09-09-2014, 06:38 PM)deb auchery Wrote: Great to hear you are in SPB. Look forward to picking your brains about the city.

my boy just came back from there. majority love putin. but a lot of that has to do wit the picture they paint on russian news

And which news should they be listening too? Fox?Rolleyes

09-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
YellowP Offline
Gunner

[/quote]

[/quote]

The best revenge we get over there is to ban all Apple sales. LOL

This 21 year old Russian from Moscow I'm involved with sends me a text on What's App this morning that complaining that the new iPhone 6 won't come to Russia until December.
09-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
The Realness Offline
Lieutenant

for russians, owning an iphone is a huge status symbol. well in many former ussr states as well. but yea, imagine apple boycotted russia, would be some funny shit.
09-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Find Reply