Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everest climbing course + Instagram feed
[-] The following 4 users Like 007 Game's post:
  • deb auchery, Dom Taurus, Rick91, Shanked
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
Everest climbing course + Instagram feed
In 6 hours I'm leaving LA to Kathmandu for a four week Everest climbing course. As the name suggests it is a course designed to prepare people to climb the Everest. I will have very limited connectivity and no time to post, but I've set up an Instagram account so I easily post pictures, you're welcome to follow it:

http://instagram.com/007_game

See you on the other side.
10-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
RE: Everest climbing course + Instagram feed
Have fun 007 !
4 weeks in the mountains on high altitude will be tough no doubt, but this will be life time experience.
10-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
Good luck dude. Always been a dream of mine.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
10-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Squiggles Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Good luck, pal. my housemate did base camp last year and Nepal is awesome.

I only did the lazy bits on flats and went through Kathmandu valley by road, but it was a top trip.

Kathmandu is a mad though! My tip to you: you have no room in your bag because you bought a rug last week, you'll thank me.
10-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Apollo's post:
  • Shanked
Apollo Offline
Boatswain

East Timor
Respect the mountain.
10-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Ethan X Offline
Deckhand

Have fun brother. Sorry I couldn't meet up with you in LA.
10-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
I thought I will share something - If you into mountains and not only but perhaps looking for inspiration, check this great blog:

http://www.alanarnette.com/

lots of useful info including detail coverage of Mt.Everest.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 07:11 AM by Max.)
10-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
007 Game Offline

Afghanistan
Thanks guys. I arrived a day before everybody, today is shopping for gear and some sightseeing. They have a strange timezone here, UTC + 5:45. This is the itinerary for the course:

October 11 (Date team is to be in Kathmandu.) Upon arrival check into the Nirvana Garden Hotel situated in Thamel, the cornerstone of the Kathmandu scene.

October 12: Kathmandu. From the centrally located Nirvana Garden Hotel we begin our exploration of Kathmandu while doing last minute expeditions shopping and packing. While modern by Nepalese standards, Kathmandu is a sacred city to both Hindus and Buddhists. Our tour is an important introduction to understanding

the cultures which lay ahead. Kathmandu is prominently featured in both Buddhist scriptures and Hindu texts such as the Ramayana. We highly recommend taking in a self guided or guided tour of the 3000-year-old Swamayabhu (monkey temple), the great Stupa of Bodnath and the chaotic Hindu temple complex of Pashupatineth. This temple is home to many Hindu aesthetics or Sadhus.

October 13: After final administration requirements, we fly to the landing strip in Lukla. Weather permitting this flight offers outstanding views of the eastern Himalayas. In Lukla, we meet and join our Sherpa staff, load the yaks and begin the ascent to base camp. Our first day is an easy walk to lush environs of Monjo, located on the Dudh Kosi River. No time is wasted on the learning aspects of this expedition. Evenings throughout the trek will consist of learning assessing rope skills needed for a Himalayan climb.

October 14: We follow the Dudh Kosi, ascending 700 meters through Himalayan pine and Deodar cedar forests, to the celebrated village of Namche Bazaar (3445 meters). The village of Namche is an historic trading post where Nepalese and Tibetan traders exchange salt, dried meat, gold and textiles. Besides being a superb place to shop for traditional crafts, Namche remains the central trading post in the Khumbu, attracting Himalayan and lowland merchants. Our group spends two days in Namche affording us the opportunity to acclimate, visit local markets and spend time with friends in town. Our camp is perched high above the city and we make our way to nearby high points to capture our first glimpses of Ama Dablam, Everest and neighbouring peaks.

October 15: Today is acclimatization day. Take a hike up to the twin villages of Kunde and Khumjung home of the climbing Sherpas and the Sir Edmund Hillary School. In the afternoon take in the sights in Namche Bazaar including the Sherpa museum and local marketplace.

October 16: Trek to the village of Tengboche (3866 meters), the cultural and religious center of the Khumbu. At the monastery we attend Buddhist ceremonies and rituals performed by local monks. Vistas from Tengboche are spectacular. The jagged peaks of Thamserku and Kangtega stand to our south, as Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse and Ama Dablam are visible to the north. The Monastery at Tengboche is one of the most well known in the world as the Rinpoche is revered throughout the Buddhist community and has authored a number of books and essays. In the past our groups have had an audience with the Rinpoche and received his blessing. This is often a moving and intense experience. Views from this locale (one of the finest on earth), include Kwangde 6186 meters, Tawachee 6467 meters, Nuptse 7878 meters, Lhotse 8500 meters, Everest 8852 meters, Ama Dablam 6857 meters, Kantega 6778 meters, Thamserku 6607 meters. After visiting Tengboche we move to spend the night in Pangboche.

October 17: This morning we make visit Lama Geshi for our private Puja ceremony to bless the expedition before making our way up to Dingboche for the night.

October 18: Trek to Dingboche, overnight in the lodge. Meals prepared by our base camp staff while here to help maintain optimal health at these altitudes.

October 19: Trek to our Island Peak base camp and settle in the comforts of your base established by our sherpa crew who has gone ahead of us.

October 20: Rest, adjust to the altitude and start preparing for instructional sessions and organizing equipment. Puja ceremony.

October 21 to November 4- Working on the mountains climbing, training and summit bids.

November 5: Move to Pangboche
November 6: Travel from Pangboche to Namche
November 7: Namche to Lukla
November 8: Fly Lukla to KTM
November 9: Sightseeing, rest, prepare for international flight home.
November 10: Depart Kathmandu
10-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Shanked's post:
  • Max, nescio
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
Sounds awesome. Im helping my mum in the garden today.
10-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
I did ask you "quo vadis ?" one day ?
Certainly you go 007...
perhaps we meet.

edit:after all the best and good journey ! Take care !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2k2rmhT2lM
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM by Max.)
10-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
I love my young time see. ..girl

see girl

10-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Sexiback Offline
Lieutenant

I hope this ain't van.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/15/world/...?hpt=hp_t3

Quote: The four recovered victims are two Poles, an Israeli and a Nepali. The nationalities of the eight still buried are not known. It is also unclear if any more are missing, Shrestha said.
10-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
According to his agenda 007 was not there...however the dangers in the mountains are real.

"The trekkers died Tuesday evening near the 5,416-meter (17,770-foot) Throung La Pass, "

RIP for the Fallen

(10-15-2014, 11:20 PM)SexiBack Wrote: ...
I hope this ain't van.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/15/world/...?hpt=hp_t3

Quote: The four recovered victims are two Poles, an Israeli and a Nepali. The nationalities of the eight still buried are not known. It is also unclear if any more are missing, Shrestha said.

10-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Sexiback Offline
Lieutenant

http://www.timesofisrael.com/foreign-min...-in-nepal/

The whole area was hit by a massive blizzard. If Van is hiking in the area, he probably ended up in the snowstorm. It's not some isolated avalanche on one mountain. Hope he's alright.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2014, 07:09 PM by Sexiback.)
10-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
William Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Seems like he is still alive as a couple new photos have been added to his instagram. Van, let us know how things are going.
10-17-2014, 05:07 AM
Find Reply