Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Web design freelance work- info is it worth getting into?
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Web design freelance work- info is it worth getting into?
Iv noticed a part time college course that I can likely do involving web design. I'm pretty sick of labouring and I really have this need to actually learn something.

The course has 3 parts all focussed on web design the longer courses stray into other things unrelated and takes a lot longer.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this, what's the pay like freelancing, how difficult is it to find work online- how difficult is it in general. The course is supposed to take someone with zero experience in it to introducing them to HTML, using dream weaver and understanding and using e-commerce.

Does anyone have any input or experience in this? I'm going to study something so I figured something which could lead to the location independent lifestyle.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2014, 11:26 AM by Rick91.)
10-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
RE: Web design freelance work- info is it worth getting into?
Free info
http://www.w3schools.com/ - html, css, java, php
http://www.codeacademy.com - for html and css

You can learn everything yourself you just have to motivate yourself to do it. I've been on and off teaching myself for a while.. its something you have to take seriously though if you want to get somewhere.

How many years is the course?

10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 3 users Like SpecialEd's post:
  • deb auchery, GmaniFisto, Shanked
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Rick,

If I were you, I'd get into something that the entire 3rd world is NOT already doing. Web design/coding is highly competitive and wages are on a downward spiral.

You strike me as a man of simple tastes: pussy and G.O.T right? You don't need a huge budget for that lifestyle. Start with telemarketing. You can EASILY find $20+ an hour jobs just calling people on skype. It's boring as fuck but it pays the bills.

While you're doing that, you can start learning some real skills.
I'm copywriting at the moment and it pays very well.

Also, if I were you, I wouldn't be content with mere location independence. You're still trading time for money=wage slave. Passive income is where true freedom lies. That way, when you go out at night and slay sluts, you can rest assured that the money is still rolling in!

Part of the reason I'm going to Chiang Mai is to network with some very successful location independent guys there and get the ball rolling.
10-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Hey Deb
This is A really good thread. Can you share some more location independent ideas...
10-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend the basics of freelance telemarketing I honestly never knew you could do such a thing online and I can see why the money would be better.

£10 is pretty good IMO. Anyone recommend any resources or the basic outlines for getting started?
I also looked at getting into copywriting. I read a couple of books on the subject but the problem I found with them were they were pretty vage and broad about going on about things and most only had brief section on online work.

If I'm to get into something I want to know exactly what I'm actually doing I actually felt like a bit of a fraud even considering the idea of charging people for a service I was more or less still clueless about.

I have however been looking for online courses. Here not free but I'm pretty sure afterwards you'd know pretty well what your doing. The fact you get assessed is pretty important to me as well as the structure of the course.

Here's an example of one
http://www.online-copywriting.com/2012/0...pywriting/

Pricing is far more than you'd pay for an e-book or something but something around this level is something I need.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2014, 09:23 PM by Rick91.)
10-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
It's pretty simple man. Just get an account on one of the big freelancer sites, put up a pic, write some bs about being a telemarketer for 5 years,etc..

You'll probably win one of your first bids. They'll be relieved to hire someone who isn't Paki.
10-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I just did some research into that course I posted. Has terrible reviews proper shit.
10-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Rick, if you want to get into copywriting...Study the the guys who actually wrote successful advertisements. Those online courses are shit, written by guys who couldn't sell a child candy.

Gary Halbert had a 7-figure direct-mail business. Start here.

I'll warn you. It's not easy. Very few people have the chops for copywriting. But if you get good at it, you won't have to worry about money.
10-31-2014, 10:07 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
Copywriting is something ive been looking into as well got some good advice from an expeet a while ago. Plus affiliate marketing to try and get some small passive income going. Specialed how much study/books about copywriting did you read before you landed/looking for your first job?

Im hesitant about saying I have 5+ yr exp but seems like this is common...and as long as you can deliver it gets your foot in the door. My biggest problem is not knowing how good my work is and you need an expert to advise you on that. im more interested in website/coding but now im back to thinking fuck it and going solid into copywriting i do enjoy it even though ive never enjoyed being a writer and it will most likely show success faster than anything else.

Btw agree with deb great post man.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2014, 01:32 AM by Shanked.)
11-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Well after reading the well fed writer and then finding what appears to be a legitimate online copywriting course I can quite easily say there's a bit of a difference on how detailed the content is.

http://ctjt.biz/course/t/distance-learni...a/subjects

The criteria and assignments just make it seem far more real if you know what I mean. Like you would legitimately know what your doing after this.

Iv looked at what you recommended specialed. I just don't think I can learn in that matter. And it wasn't just the copywriting that I was perplexed about it was the whole process which seems pretty well broken down on the course.

I'm not paying for anything yet but if my life depended on me making a decent income from being a copywriter I think I'd sign up.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2014, 12:03 PM by Rick91.)
11-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
Rick just think about traveling the world banging birds in every country and reaching 1k notches before your 30. Passion and motivation will do more than any course will teach you. And you dont know how good the guys that made the course are do what specialed recommended.

Start listening to eric thomas, if you are lacking motivation and get his stuff on your ipod.
11-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(11-01-2014, 01:24 AM)Shanked Wrote: Copywriting is something ive been looking into as well got some good advice from an expeet a while ago. Plus affiliate marketing to try and get some small passive income going. Specialed how much study/books about copywriting did you read before you landed/looking for your first job?

Im hesitant about saying I have 5+ yr exp but seems like this is common...and as long as you can deliver it gets your foot in the door. My biggest problem is not knowing how good my work is and you need an expert to advise you on that. im more interested in website/coding but now im back to thinking fuck it and going solid into copywriting i do enjoy it even though ive never enjoyed being a writer and it will most likely show success faster than anything else.

Btw agree with deb great post man.

I read about 5-6 books on copywriting before landing my first client.

Honestly though, after you've read a couple, I'd start looking for work. The only way to get better at copywriting is to....write copy.

The books have a lot of useful theory but you have to apply it by putting hand to paper. I wrote out by hand famous ads(some 4 pages long). I did this every morning for 3 hours. It was brutal. My right hand hurts thinking about it...

But if you do that, you'll start to understand what makes good copy 'work'. You'll see the emotional appeals, persuasive techniques,etc...Once you understand that stuff, you'll start to incorporate it into your own writing.
11-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Do half decent copy writers earn at least $50000/year?

I've seen marketing courses on sites like International Living selling for $300 claiming you can make $100000/year doing copywriting. 100k income and living cheap in EE or SEA on 30k would be optimal to stash cash to build passive income from dividends and rental properties.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 02:34 PM by TideRide.)
11-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
pygmalion Offline
Banned

Yeah, good thread.

Where can I find tel*mark*ting skype gigs that pay that kind of dough? Any specific websites I can apply on? I'd do that shit here in Asia no question.
11-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
decentfilipina Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
What job would let me travel around the world? Oh lala. I'm sure it would like heaven haha
11-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Find Reply