Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(ERs) Emergency rooms in other countries?
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Hello all, just this morning I had to take a family member to the emergency room to a hospital in Los Angeles county and it was a fucked up experience. We ended up having to wait more than 4 hours to just speak with the doctor despite my family member throwing up continuously and having the worst stomach pain she's ever had in her life. But what was also sad was there were several babies in there crying, some old as guy in his 60's also barfing, just a bunch of fucked up people ALL WAITING due to no available doctors and this is supposed to be a first world country with world class healthcare? The workers were rude and bitchy (although to be fair to them, they're probably overworked and stressed). It got me thinking what emergency rooms were like in other countries, especially areas that are popular on this forum like EE and SEA as well as the rest of Asia and Europe (since I plan on visiting both next year)

Any horror stories, tips, good resources on how to find reputable hospitals that have good ER and doctors? Are the experiences abroad similar to what I experienced this morning?

Here is a good blog post by Tim Ferris about his nightmare experience in India:

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2011/10/02/b...-stoicism/

Thanks in advance,
12-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
decentfilipina Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
RE: (ERs) Emergency rooms in other countries?
Oh sorry to hear about that. I hope your relative got her proper medical treatment now,

Well in the Philippines, if you will be brought to an emergency room then they will check you immediately but there are some selfish hospitals who would require some initial payment first before they give you a proper treatment. This happens to private hospitals. Expect the worse in public hospitals as you would never be prioritized unless it is so freaking obvious you are nearly dying like those who have been fatally shot. Let me share an example in one public hospital for woman who is giving birth, it is the worst. Poor mothers. The ratio of the patient to bed is like 10 is to 1. So even a woman who would already came to the point of giving birth, they are still not accommodated until most of them either dies because of too much pain or just give birth along the corridor of the hospital. In this hospital, once you already have given birth, you need to leave immediately since there will be other patients next to her. So that woman who just gave birth now has a high risk of being dead because of no medical attention too. Remember that it is riskier for a woman to die after giving birth. I really pity them. Esp the poor who cannot really afford the proper treatments. Actually, poor people die here without knowing they have cancer. They only thought it was a recurring fever or cough. Really sad. My heart breaks every time I hear stories like this.

I really hate the medical system in my country that's the reason why I really take care of myself. If you don't have money, then don't expect a proper medical attention. Most people here who lives longer are the one who can afford the very expensive medical stuff. If you are poor, then your life span here will be shorter. I am glad we have our own family doctor. She's been our doctor since I was 4 years old. Wow didn't imagine it's 20 years now.. So she's like a family now so at least we have an easy access to emergency treatments in some hospitals..

So if in case you worry about bein hospitalized here, just make sure you have money on hand and flash it to these selfish people. They do mostly business and not just treat patients. It's the sad truth. So always live a healthy lifestyle and try not to get sick if you want to live in PH.

Ps. Filipino Doctors are excellent tho. Sometimes it is only the management of the hospitals who employs them are the corrupt one. Lol.
12-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
Make it 5 hours now...

Actually Doctor I just came in and was great. Wow, I have the greatest respect for doctors. In just 5 min, he pushed a few parts of the body and was able to narrow down what the cause of pain might be.

Fuck damn, the admin and receptionist just sucked. Fucking ghetto as fuck, these two dudes who I think are nurses, sucked, basically just telling my relative to undress while leaving the curtain open, fucking joke. I have no patience for half assed service. If they don't like their jobs, fucking quit then, but don't fuck up other people's shit. These hospitals should fire the admin retards and pay the extra money to the doctors. The doctors deserve it.

Thanks for the feedback decentp. I'm similar to you in that I try to stay healthy, not just to be the most fuckable but cuz I don't want to rely on doctors and medicine to live a longer life
Kaizen (Continuous Improvement) My personal journey of improving myself as a man and finding happiness

https://kaizenmanofsteel.wordpress.com
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2014, 08:17 AM by fucksong.)
12-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
decentfilipina Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
These doctors have invested so much for themselves during their study but they don't recover the return of their investments quickly until they able to put up their own clinic and gain loyal clients. They save people's lives so it is just right that they must be compensated really well.

Glad there is already a doctor checking her up. Hope all is well now.

Btw. Are the nurses not Filipinos??? Or Asian-looking? I thought they provide better customer service in the hospitals as Filipino health workers tend to be more caring about their patients..
12-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
DF-
Asian people in general seem to have a natural sense of grace and order about them.

Does anyone else sense that-
Asians seem more happy/positive on average than other races.

12-14-2014, 06:09 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
decentfilipina Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
Well, that is correct. Filipinos are naturally kind-hearted and it is in our nature to help even in our own little ways, so yes we care for everyone. But there are still, of course, some who are indeed selfish. Probably this is because on how we are brought up here.
12-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Find Reply