Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambodia - only come here if you have no problem shoring or a fetish for temples
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

RE: Cambodia - only come here if you have no problem shoring or a fetish for temples
Speaking of Cambodai, any see Beyond Borders from the RVF post those youtube vids?

Youtube is a great way to build an audience. Props to him for taking initiative.

However, I am kinda scratching my head as to why he would choose to live in Cambodia over places like Thailand or Philippines. I mean, we are talking about night and day with regards to women and nightlife. He said it is due to visa and ease of life, but the visa problem wouldnt warrant Cambodia still imo.

02-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
RE: Cambodia - only come here if you have no problem shoring or a fetish for temples
I had an entirely different image of Beyond Borders in my head...

But yea, cool guy. As for Cambo, I think he likes being off the beaten path. And he said women/nightlife aren't too important to him anymore.

One thing that I found interesting...was he said he's had a rough time of it financially. For a guy that's been in the writing game as long as he has, that surprises me.
02-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(02-25-2015, 03:53 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: I had an entirely different image of Beyond Borders in my head...

But yea, cool guy. As for Cambo, I think he likes being off the beaten path. And he said women/nightlife aren't too important to him anymore.

One thing that I found interesting...was he said he's had a rough time of it financially. For a guy that's been in the writing game as long as he has, that surprises me.

I don't think most are getting rich of elance and writing articles.
02-25-2015, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Sure, but that's only supposed to be a starting point. If the guy has been writing for 5+ years, he should have tapped into the more lucrative markets. I'm not hatin' on him, just saying there is a lot of money to be made in writing.
02-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Met a bit of a legend tonight. Some black South african footballer that plays on the biggest team on cambodia. Played in thailand before. Cool guy, Bought me some whiskey and is banging sister of chick I'm trying to bang only got a make out so far.

His salary is 5000 dollars a month for something like 2-3 hours practice a day. He does fucking well with chicks too, status trumps race. He's my age he is set the fuck up.

Told me some great things about Udon Thani. Thailand guys may want to check it out.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2015, 07:47 AM by Rick91.)
02-26-2015, 07:45 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

5k a month in Cambo.... On that King time haha
02-26-2015, 08:47 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Comrade Offline
Boatswain

fuck that man I had an awesome time in Cambodia! All 3 times! One of my favorite countries, it's a very close second to Burma.
02-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scandibro's post:
  • TideRide
scandibro Offline
Boatswain

Afghanistan
(02-25-2015, 04:08 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Sure, but that's only supposed to be a starting point. If the guy has been writing for 5+ years, he should have tapped into the more lucrative markets. I'm not hatin' on him, just saying there is a lot of money to be made in writing.

There is no money in writing as a whole.

Even for educated journalists there isn't. New media is just using crap interns to push social media clickbait and most newspapers also just run 'first' type articles referencing that.

Then there are all the free blogs and amateurs. Writing books was never a good financial choice for the vast majority.

Unless you really love writing, then there is no reason to get into it, better learn how to program or use photoshop if you want to freelance.
02-27-2015, 12:42 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpecialEd's post:
  • TideRide
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(02-27-2015, 12:42 AM)scandibro Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 04:08 PM)SpecialEd Wrote: Sure, but that's only supposed to be a starting point. If the guy has been writing for 5+ years, he should have tapped into the more lucrative markets. I'm not hatin' on him, just saying there is a lot of money to be made in writing.

Even for educated journalists there isn't. New media is just using crap interns to push social media clickbait and most newspapers also just run 'first' type articles referencing that.

Then there are all the free blogs and amateurs. Writing books was never a good financial choice for the vast majority.

Unless you really love writing, then there is no reason to get into it, better learn how to program or use photoshop if you want to freelance.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Aside from copywriting (which is immensely lucrative), there are plenty of top-rate content writers making 6-figures.

Programming and other hi-tech fields are inundated with competition from the 3rd world. As a native-English speaking copywriter, I don't have to worry about that at all.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015, 12:59 AM by SpecialEd.)
02-27-2015, 12:58 AM
Find Reply
  • TideRide
scandibro Offline
Boatswain

Afghanistan
(02-27-2015, 12:58 AM)SpecialEd Wrote:

Aside from copywriting (which is immensely lucrative), there are plenty of top-rate content writers making 6-figures.

Programming and other hi-tech fields are inundated with competition from the 3rd world. As a native-English speaking copywriter, I don't have to worry about that at all.

The top 10% always make money in any kind of business. How many writers have you met with good incomes?

Coding and designing is not easily outsourced despite what people think. Indians and philipinos are generally poor workers who do not understand western business and work practice or design.

I have yet to meet a western programmer who charges less than $100/hour as a freelancer on any of the freelance sites. And people pay them.

Edit: Let me clarify. You can make a lot of money as a writer, but statistically speaking, if you want a steady decent freelance income, it's better to learn a technical skill than a creative.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015, 01:18 AM by scandibro.)
02-27-2015, 01:04 AM
Find Reply
  • TideRide
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(02-27-2015, 01:04 AM)scandibro Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 12:58 AM)SpecialEd Wrote:

The top 10% always make money in any kind of business. How many writers have you met with good incomes?

Coding and designing is not easily outsourced despite what people think. Indians and philipinos are generally poor workers who do not understand western business and work practice or design.

I have yet to meet a western programmer who charges less than $100/hour as a freelancer on any of the freelance sites. And people pay them.

Decent copywriters (just decent) are making six-figures man. The top guys charge $25,000+ for a sales letter.

We make a lot more than your run-of-the-mill programmer.

Sure, phillipinos are indians do a shit job usually. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of IT jobs are being outsourced to them. And it's not just them you have to worry about. Programmers from the FSU have mad skills, and they're willing to work for a fraction the wage of a guy in Silicon Valley.

None of those guys will ever be able write a sales letter.
02-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Find Reply
  • TideRide
scandibro Offline
Boatswain

Afghanistan
Bro,

I'm not hating on writing, I'm in the content game too and I write most of my own stuff in several languages. I have also been published a couple of times in national newspapers (which pays pennies by the way).

Copywriting is definitely the way to go, though I dislike the word because it smacks too much of WarriorForum scams. Sales and ad writing is what it is about, which requires a lot more than being able to string words together. Sales writing requires great knowledge of psychology, ability to research target groups and not least in the modern world, the willingness to test your writing with numbers. It's fairly easy to do A/B tests of sales writing, but few so called 'copywriters' actually take advantage of being able to prove an improvement in conversion rates. This is likely because they don't like to deal with statistics and technical implementation.
02-27-2015, 01:49 AM
Find Reply
  • TideRide
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
And I'm not trying to beat up on you man...

But you came out swinging saying there was no money to be made in writing. That's a pretty ignorant statement.

Copywriting is just one of a few sub-fields of writing that are highly lucrative. If you're not making good money writing, either you suck at it, or you just don't understand how to market yourself.

I can't speak to the opportunities in Denmark, but the English content market is MASSIVE, and at the higher-end the compensation is very good. That's content I'm talking about, not copywriting. You can easily earn $700+ per blog article. That's a comfortable living.

As for copywriting, any copywriter worth his salt is doing split-testing. It's all about the numbers at the end of the day. If you don't get results, your career as a copywriter will be short-lived.
02-27-2015, 02:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Sexiback Offline
Lieutenant

When you talk about copy writing...that's like writing brochures... describing products on websites and so on?

How much of what you write actually gets read? Do you care people just...sort of scan over it? Or are you just like..whatever as long as I get paid.
02-27-2015, 04:09 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rick91's post:
  • Shanked
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Shoring is getting fucking hard here now. I've pretty much banged all the ones for free that you can. Kind of lost the edge as well. I'd stay out till fucking 7 trawling for pussy before. Now I just couldn't give a fuck.

I'm having hints of oneitus for that bar owner chick. Fucking dreaming about her and laying on my bed thinking about her like a faggot. At least this time I plowed the chick that I started getting dopamine hits from. I will ride this wave and see what happens though fucking rare Experience.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015, 07:05 AM by Rick91.)
02-27-2015, 07:00 AM
Find Reply