• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Teaching
[-] The following 1 user Likes pygmalion2's post:
  • Beyond Borders
pygmalion2 Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
English Teaching
So I landed an English teaching job. I'm going to be starting in a few weeks.

They showed me some videos and gave me some details about the job. I'm going to be teaching young, kindergarten-aged kids, maybe a little older. While I'm going over letters and teaching them basic vocabulary words with flashcards and games, they also want me sing songs with them and do gay little dances and shit like that, basically being an entertainer clown and glorified babysitter.

I'm wondering, what normal, heterosexual high testosterone man would be able to stand this shit? lol

How do you do it, Dash?

Ed, did you have to do this as well? I can see why you bailed on Korea..
03-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
RE: English Teaching
I thought you were already teaching english. How have you survived this long?
03-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

Take a video for us so we can make fun of you
03-03-2015, 11:52 AM
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Op
What country are you teaching in?
03-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
I just gave my kiddies crossword puzzles most of the time. I couldn't be bothered to actually teach them, or do any of that gay shit.

The school did make me wear a costume for Halloween. If that picture ever turns up somewhere...it'd be embarrassing.
03-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I'm hoping to land a job here. A lot harder to get one if you don't have a degree. May consider getting a fake one.
03-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

(03-03-2015, 05:53 PM)Rick91 Wrote: I'm hoping to land a job here. A lot harder to get one if you don't have a degree. May consider getting a fake one.

You can have one of mine. They've proven to be pretty worthless to me so far.

Which country are you looking to land a job?
03-03-2015, 10:13 PM
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I'm in cambodia. I'v decided to make up some shut about having a HNDC which means I'm 1 year from getting a bachelors degree. Will also spout shit about being a swimming teacher. Theres a serious lack of info out there for people in my situation. I'm going to put a lot of effort into the cover letter and brush up the CV.

I think it's extremely important to hand your CV to the actual principal or director and see them face to face.

I know a guy with a degree and Tefl who failed to get a job over the course of 2 months. A solid factor may be timing and luck.
03-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(03-03-2015, 05:53 PM)Rick91 Wrote: I'm hoping to land a job here. A lot harder to get one if you don't have a degree. May consider getting a fake one.

Anyone with a pulse should be able to land an English teaching job in Cambodia.

But I can't see you being a teacher Rick. You'd scare the children.Wink

03-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Yeah that's what I heard.

03-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(03-03-2015, 11:22 AM)pygmalion2 Wrote: So I landed an English teaching job. I'm going to be starting in a few weeks.

They showed me some videos and gave me some details about the job. I'm going to be teaching young, kindergarten-aged kids, maybe a little older. While I'm going over letters and teaching them basic vocabulary words with flashcards and games, they also want me sing songs with them and do gay little dances and shit like that, basically being an entertainer clown and glorified babysitter.

I'm wondering, what normal, heterosexual high testosterone man would be able to stand this shit? lol

How do you do it, Dash?

Ed, did you have to do this as well? I can see why you bailed on Korea..

Rule number 1 - Dont teach elementary and younger. You are more of a babysitter and clown. On top of trying to teach something, you have to deal with class management and doing dumb shit like you mentioned.

I teach middle and high school. Advanced TOFEL speaking and essay writing topics and skills.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 11:52 PM by Dash Global.)
03-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Debb Auchery Offline
Banned

I think English teaching is great when you are younger especially, TBH instead of wasting my time in offices in my twenties I should have done this. Great way to feed you appetite for travel whilst making a decent living.

The only problem is that you are often subject to the economic state of the country you are working in, if the economy crashes(like in Ukraine) then you are living not much better than the locals.

I think as English teachers get older, then tend to go where the money is (Middle East, China, Japan, Vietnam etc). I know some English teachers in Ukraine that are still working and getting paid peanuts, such is the desire to live in Ukraine and bang chicks. I'm talking about guys in their Forties+ getting paid $3 an hour.

I may considering teaching in another country in the future, it's always something to fall back on. I should do well because I speak a high level on British English
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 11:50 PM by Debb Auchery.)
03-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Teaching English is ok for your 20's. By 30+ you need to be working on something that generates more income.

Thats assuming you havent got the top credentials and working in Uni's making 3K plus with 1K or less expenses.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2015, 12:04 AM by Dash Global.)
03-03-2015, 11:56 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Debb Auchery Offline
Banned

English teacher X was scratching a living in provincial Russia for many years then he went to Saudi and made big bucks and due to the zero fun factor, saved a lot

http://englishteacherx.blogspot.com/
03-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes fucksong's post:
  • TideRide
fucksong Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
(03-03-2015, 11:49 PM)Debb Auchery Wrote: . I know some English teachers in Ukraine that are still working and getting paid peanuts, such is the desire to live in Ukraine and bang chicks. I'm talking about guys in their Forties+ getting paid $3 an hour.

I know guys on their 40s who are paid six figures who spend half that to sleep with those same girls here in US, so it's all relative.

I kid you not, I just met a guy a few weeks back who is a successful website designer, just bought a new house, who sometimes pays girls to go out on dates with him at about $100- $150 a night. He showed me the website where it's like an eBay type auction site for dates with chicks.

Have fun over there guys, it's a pretty sad situation for some guys back here in the West
03-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Find Reply