• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Workout Thread
[-]
  •
AwesomeX Offline
Gunner

Brazil
RE: Workout Thread
Hey guys, anyone ever mess up their Rotator cuff. I've been lifting heavier then normal these last few months, and I went to put up 315lbs on bench last week, and felt a sharp pain behind my shoulder.
I have a hard time doing flyes now, and I feel intense pain when benching incline with too much weight. Any suggestions?
05-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rick91's post:
  • AwesomeX
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Switch to overhead press only and do light rotator cuff exercises. Your pecs still get worked to a degree through it.

Iv completely cut bench out of my routine.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 10:32 PM by Rick91.)
05-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Rick
Have you had injuries to your pec tie in or something?

Dumbbell presses give you a fuller range of motion-maybe try those for chest work...
05-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Just never felt comfortable with the movement. I would go the dumbell route if I were to do it again. Shoulders end up taking a shitload of the weight and also my right side is far more powerful than my left resulting in it taking the majority of the strain and gaining in strength and size faster than my left furthering the problem.

I plan on doing solely over head press for a year in terms of major upper body lifts it will be interesting to see its effects on the physique from an aesthetic point of view.

I imagine my chest will lack depth but become quite wide particuarly in the upper region. The delts should end up being my best body part by far.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2015, 01:43 AM by Rick91.)
05-21-2015, 01:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Rick
I agree the bench is danerous for injuries- met tons of people who've had pec tears from it. I don't blame you for being cautious- sets of one arm push ups for reps and doing them at all kinds of angles will build flexibility, strength, reduce the risk of injury, and develop the ligaments in that area of the body. If you can do 80 straight push-ups or 10 one arms per side you're strong. After that pursue maximal and 5x5 types of lifts.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2015, 03:37 AM by TideRide.)
05-21-2015, 03:36 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

AwesomeX,

Sorry about the shoulder man. My bench was 315 for 2 reps before I fucked mine... I screwed my rotator cuff doing pull-ups of all things. You need to rest it. I have rested mine and I think it is slowly coming back. I have lost huge amounts of strength though... Really pisses me off. and the constant pain... For awhile I couldn't even put my left hand on my steering wheel to drive... Anyway if it's your rotator give at least 4 to 6 weeks rest... I pushed mine way to soon... and to fast and really fucked myself...

Rick, military is harder on your shoulders then bench...

With bench you need a narrower grip... the biggest reduction in shoulder pain I have felt was by narrowing my grip. Next pull your shoulders back and try and pinch your shoulder blades together, last find the spot to lower the bar that doesn't hurt... for me it is right to my nipples to slightly above... Man I can't wait for healthy shoulder again... I had it.. got way into the 200's a couple of weeks back felt awesome... no pain the next day... then trained shoulders with dumbbells went to heavy and fuck two steps back... now 3 weeks later... and I had a bench day with minimal pain but very low weight... I think I did 135 for a 10x10... never strained but we will see if the shoulder can take it....
05-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I don't have a problem with hitting shoulders hard on shoulder press it feels like a natural motion to me. Bench has always pissed me off. I will go the dumbell route if I train that way again. My upper pecs are getting a reasonable pump from overhead press.
05-26-2015, 03:44 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
If you have long arms...the bench is a royal pain in the ass. I've never liked the movement. OHP is better. If you want to hit the pecs more, dips are good. I'd like to get a set of gymnastic rings. Probably the best upper body workout you can have.
05-26-2015, 05:57 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

I loved dips but with my current shoulder state they are a no go... I have long arms and use to always wide grip bench .... Once I narrowed up my grip things really improved.
05-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Did you guys ever do martial arts or wrestling?
05-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

(05-26-2015, 12:31 PM)TideRide Wrote: Did you guys ever do martial arts or wrestling?

Choy Le Fut kung Fu and boxing

Both my sons and my nephews wrestle. They are pretty bad ass.
05-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

Shoulder is finally doing better... although it does now have a nasty clunk that just doesn't go away.
06-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

It's so fucking difficult to find a gym while traveling. I was able to find one in a small Albanian town by chance. How do you guys stay fit during your travels?

I've been plugging away doing 300 pushups/day. I feel like I am losing all the gains I've made the past few months
06-06-2015, 02:26 AM
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

I just google one up and pay by the day
06-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
EEHunter Offline
Stowaway

Hi to all the fellow gym goers!!
I'm a 23 yo guy and I go to the gym everyday, from Monday to Sunday and I do split workouts.

My biggest regret is that I started out only some months ago...I wish I started earlier, I look way better now and I have lots of room for improvements yet.
I'm 6ft tall and I weight 155lbs.

06-08-2015, 04:32 AM
Find Reply