Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
to hostel or not to hostel, that is the question
[-]
  •
piggyvio Offline
Gunner

to hostel or not to hostel, that is the question
I am going to travel a bit around europe with some friends during the summer and we have yet to decide if we are going to airbnb the whole trip or stay in hostels to find an easier way to meet people faster and in a more party enviroment.

the cities we are visiting are barcelona riga budapest and maybe prague.

thoughts?

05-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
RE: to hostel or not to hostel, that is the question
Hostels in barcelona usually have a strict no guest policy as in there is security guards to make sure you don't bring anyone back. I had no problem with that in EE though.
05-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shanked's post:
  • Alex
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
Start the trip off in hostels then book airbnbs for the rest.
05-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

I am doing a bit of both. The cities I didn't plan on trying to slam in I booked hostels. The cities I plan on at least attempting, I will book airbnbs. You can still smash in hostels, but the logistics are different everywhere. Hostels girls are sluts for the most part. From what I've seen the past week, it shouldnt be too difficult once you guys are drunk.

I advise caution, though. I didn't plan on smashing in Albania, but now I regret not getting an Airbnb. The girls seem really open to foreigners. I messed that one up.
05-26-2015, 10:33 PM
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Congo Democratic Republic
If you share a house with friends it will eventually be cheaper than hotels anyways. If you really want meeting other backpackers than go to pub crawls or the bars of hostels.
05-27-2015, 03:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
Personally, I would only stay in hostels in I was travelling alone. It's good for meeting people.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
05-28-2015, 04:34 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Never stay in a hostel due to being able to get good priced airbnb rentals. Then just go to the hostel during the day for food / drinks / socialize. Best of both worlds.
05-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

Dash, are you talking about a shared/private room for Airbnb? You won't be able to rent out an entire airbnb for the same price as a hostel in Europe. For me, that is the entire point of using Airbnb is that you have the privacy and freedom to do whatever the hell you want.

I just arrived to the this hostel in Skopje. I wake up and the floor is covered in ants. Fucking gross
05-28-2015, 06:44 PM
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Not sure about Europe prices but I'm renting a whole apartment in Manila for 20 dollars a night. I image you might could at least get a private room for similar to hostel in Europe
05-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

You could but that essentially defeats the purpose of airbnb. I imagine if an entire apartment is 20 dollars in Manila that a hostel has to be close to half of that
05-28-2015, 07:01 PM
[-]
  •
geekindex Offline
Lieutenant

Germany
I have grown too old for hostels I guess... ;-)
05-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Don
Unregistered

(05-28-2015, 08:11 PM)geekindex Wrote: I have grown too old for hostels I guess... ;-)

That's the stigma that goes along with hostels. You can find some that cater to the young crowd and others which are laid back and have 40+ year olds in them
05-29-2015, 08:28 AM
[-]
  •
piggyvio Offline
Gunner

It is mainly about what dash said, we are 4 and coould easily rent something pretty sweet with 40/50 usd a night each.

05-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
geekindex Offline
Lieutenant

Germany
(05-29-2015, 03:27 PM)piggyvio Wrote: It is mainly about what dash said, we are 4 and coould easily rent something pretty sweet with 40/50 usd a night each.
I've seen a nice villa in Budapest on Airbnb for 120 USD a night... bit outside the center, though.

@Don: I know there are hostels that not only suite the 20something. I never exclude them when looking for a place to stay, but most times end up with other means of staying, mostly rented flats...
05-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Find Reply