Bodyweight Workout Thread
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
RE: Bodyweight Workout Thread
Ed

Do you do any cardio or just 3 strength sessions/week?

Did you ever train MMA, BJJ, Thai Boxing, etc.?

To the critics-
Eds built like an MMA fighter-same size as Alexander Gustaffson or Dan Henderson. Most athletes will never be below 10% bf so that is a sign of elite fitness/superior genetics. Either way, its an accomplishment.

This one up man ship fitness bro shit annoys me-wake up. We live in perilous times and history has a way of repeating itself. The human being has a high level of innate savagery that society masks to a certain degree but if that facade of air conditioning, electricity, store bought food, etc. ever goes out-what will happen? If it goes down-fighting men with knowledge are the masters of their terrain in comparison with the entertainment and ego obsessed sheeple. Do you think body builders can handle heavily armed mercs, war vets, deer hunting rednecks, and those with skills when the lights are out, the food trucks stop coming in, rail shipments are out, and its house to house combat? Look at the most famous war heros who fought in merciless battles like Stalingrad, Hue, etc. none of them look like Jay Cutler. Get real.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2015, 10:09 AM by TideRide.)
10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hicks's post:
  • SpecialEd
Hicks Offline
Lieutenant

Peru
Tide, not to nit pick with your post, but Henderson and Gustaffson are almost two direct opposites in body type, and I wouldn't say Ed is built like either of them, he looks more muscular than both and not as lanky as Gus.
10-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
^I don't have Gustaffson's ears either.

But I agree with Tide in spirit. There's such a focus on outward muscularity (particularly in North America), when the focus should be on what you can DO.

If you can't run fast, climb, or throw down in a fight...your "fitness" is useless.

Most bodybuilders are weaklings, and walking injuries. It's a sad state of affairs really.
10-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Max Offline
Crewmember

Afghanistan
I tend to agree with Ed here. Although each man has his own philosophy ...
You can just use gravity and nature (e.g trees or play grounds ) to work your body. No need for gym.
Although some weights at home can be useful. Try running - it is hard to run for most people, combined with some strength routine you will do fine. I am in my 40's and yes when you are young and skinny in your early 20's - my message will not appeal - but just wait and see...nothing wrong to grow some muscles - make sure it is natural. Watch guys in the Circus or 'Circus de Soleil' for example - your strength proportional to your body

PS: When comes to mountaineering ...your inner core and general athletic capability matters (cardio)...including mental capability and endurance. At the end is mostly mental game..beyond any training...
10-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
JJ Roberts Offline
Lieutenant

(10-17-2015, 12:41 PM)Max Wrote: Watch guys in the Circus or 'Circus de Soleil' for example - your strength proportional to your body

I know cirque's fitness coach. He recently got engaged to one of their Russian female gymnast / performers
10-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

I agree on the walking injuries... I am case in point with that... I still love moving heavy ass weight and if you have no muscle to start with and want to get big for the first time... Heavy ass weight will do it fastest.

And the next truth is that if you aren't on the juice you will never look big with your clothes on. Unless you get them super tailored and even then you only look fit...

I weigh maybe 195 or so am 6'3" my arms go from 16 to 17 depending if I am lifting on them or not 17 inch neck 32 inch waist and 44 or 45 inch chest. People always tell me I look to skinny here in south Texas... When my waist gets down to 30 they will think I am super skinny...

I agree with the body weight exercises and fitness. I am incorporating more into my workouts after weights...

But real bodybuilders aren't weak. If they get their hands on you you are dead... but they gas out real quick all that muscle burns a shit load of oxygen...

Honestly I have muscles to get attention and strength to be able to flip a girl around in bed... they love it when you just toss them from missionary to doggieSmile

I am slow when I sprint now need to work on that... My hands are fast though... if you have decent range of motion... fast hands and bench over 300 not many men can take the hit and keep standing...

Just finished a good workout... shoulder is still feeling great... some pain but not bad...
10-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Hicks Offline
Lieutenant

Peru
I attempted Pistol squats for the first time yesterday...it did not go that well. To say I am lacking balance would be an understatement. I had to adapt, so instead I did the modified version where you have a bench behind you.
Today I'm really feeling my legs, even though I only did a 15 minute body weight routine it feels exactly the same as when I do a 45 minute weighted routine in the gym.
10-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(10-20-2015, 08:00 PM)Hicks Wrote: I attempted Pistol squats for the first time yesterday...it did not go that well. To say I am lacking balance would be an understatement. I had to adapt, so instead I did the modified version where you have a bench behind you.
Today I'm really feeling my legs, even though I only did a 15 minute body weight routine it feels exactly the same as when I do a 45 minute weighted routine in the gym.

Pistols are tough. The mechanics are very different from a regular squat.

Instead of straight down, you're leaning to the side and forward a bit. Totally different center of gravity...

Also, most guys have a few stumbling blocks:

1. Flexibility - I had really tight knees when I started out. Holding the bottom position in a squat for a few minutes a day really helped with this.

2. Balance - That just comes with practice and time.

3. Feet/toe strength - Weird, I know. But most people have weak feet and toes. That's why they have shitty balance. True strength starts in the feet. When you shove or punch somebody, there is a chain of kinetic energy that begins in your heels and moves throughout your entire body. For whatever reason, the Western world entirely ignores feet training. Combined with wearing shoes all day, that's why podiatric problems are so common.

(10-20-2015, 02:29 PM)threesacharm Wrote: I agree on the walking injuries... I am case in point with that... I still love moving heavy ass weight and if you have no muscle to start with and want to get big for the first time... Heavy ass weight will do it fastest.

And the next truth is that if you aren't on the juice you will never look big with your clothes on. Unless you get them super tailored and even then you only look fit...

I weigh maybe 195 or so am 6'3" my arms go from 16 to 17 depending if I am lifting on them or not 17 inch neck 32 inch waist and 44 or 45 inch chest. People always tell me I look to skinny here in south Texas... When my waist gets down to 30 they will think I am super skinny...

I agree with the body weight exercises and fitness. I am incorporating more into my workouts after weights...

But real bodybuilders aren't weak. If they get their hands on you you are dead... but they gas out real quick all that muscle burns a shit load of oxygen...

Honestly I have muscles to get attention and strength to be able to flip a girl around in bed... they love it when you just toss them from missionary to doggieSmile

I am slow when I sprint now need to work on that... My hands are fast though... if you have decent range of motion... fast hands and bench over 300 not many men can take the hit and keep standing...

Just finished a good workout... shoulder is still feeling great... some pain but not bad...

Agreed that natty lifters aren't ever going to look big...especially if you're ripped.

When the average 6"2 guy weighs 230+, you're going to look small next to him as a lean 190lbs (with clothes on). The reality is...you're taking up a lot less space.

As far as strength, there are some bodybuilders who train the powerlifts hard and have a good amount of raw strength.

But still - they have shit balance, core strength, and grip strength compared to guy who can knockout handstand pushups and one-arm pullups with ease.

In a fight between a strong bodybuilder and a street workout guy - I'd put my money of the latter. Every time.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM by SpecialEd.)
10-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
threesacharm Offline
Lieutenant

I agree mostly with the bodybuilder idea unless they do a lot of dumbbell different pulls and don't use straps... then they have amazing grip strength. I have a friend that is or was (haven't seem him for awhile) about 5'8" 265 0r 270 relatively lean. Was obviously doing a lot of steroids and growth hormone. Some guy pissed him off at a party... My body grabbed him and literally through him through a wall... took out the drywall and 2x4's underneath, was not a load bareing wall. But the fight was definitely over in seconds. Had another guy we called beat up dave... about 5'6" with short mans complex... weighed a solid 240... also tons of juice... He use to dress his wife up super hot and she was... and kick the shit out of every guy that flirted with her... Again short fights and he had to get his hands on them... I fought one big guy like that... I am tall and lanky great reach. Hit him with a spinning backfist... dazed him enough to front kick both of his knees... When the legs crumbled so did the man...
10-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Hicks Offline
Lieutenant

Peru
(10-21-2015, 08:16 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Pistols are tough. The mechanics are very different from a regular squat.

Instead of straight down, you're leaning to the side and forward a bit. Totally different center of gravity...

Also, most guys have a few stumbling blocks:

1. Flexibility - I had really tight knees when I started out. Holding the bottom position in a squat for a few minutes a day really helped with this.

2. Balance - That just comes with practice and time.

3. Feet/toe strength - Weird, I know. But most people have weak feet and toes. That's why they have shitty balance. True strength starts in the feet. When you shove or punch somebody, there is a chain of kinetic energy that begins in your heels and moves throughout your entire body. For whatever reason, the Western world entirely ignores feet training. Combined with wearing shoes all day, that's why podiatric problems are so common.

I think the balance part was the biggest factor but I definitely lack the necessary flexibility. The article I read said you should be able to do 40 hindu squats before attempting one normal pistol squat, I think that's a gross misunderestimate. I think you should be able to comfortably do 100 hindu squats before attempting a pistol squat, and even then it's going to take time to work on your balance and foot strength.

10-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Congo Democratic Republic
Hey guys,

Finally will go to gym again as I gained too much weight. Price is like 175 usd/month in Kinshasa. I didn't wanna do it cos it's so expensive, but fuck it. The weather is so hot and humid you don't excercise, .. So, yeah, I'm ready.

I used to do German Volume Training followed by going 20 - 30 min on those automatic stair-machine things. It was great.

Found a nice article here, don't know which routine to choose:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw84.htmf

Last time it took me 1 - 2 months to switch to German Volume Training, although I initially didn't have a system. Could someone maybe give me some tips how my training should look like if I start from scratch to gradually build it up to the sets described in the link?

I have an intake of 2.400 calories and I wanna drop it to 1.800 - 1.900 calories.

- No breakfast
- Lunch around 13.30
- Gym around 15.00
- Snack around 17.00: fruits
- Dinner around 19.00 - 20.00

No alcohol, no bread (it's all white french bread here, makes me swell up), preferably no pasta. At least at the beginning I will be strict.

I will just do this: Chicken (boiled) or steak around 100 - 150 gr, a fistful of veggies, a fistful of salad, a bit of boiled potatoes or rice for every meal.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't exceed the proposed calories. What do you think?

Not sure about the cardio. Those stair excercises made me have good condition. But then I was thinking about 10 x 10 crunches and 10 x 10 pull ups every morning, pretty sure that also does the trick. But could that fuck up my routine?

Advice please Smile
01-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Ok,

Skipped breakfast. Now preparing my food for today, spread over two meals.

4 big carrots, one sweet pepper, half a fennel, one onion, 2 pieces of garlic, piece of ginger, two tea spoons of olive oil, 200 gr of mushrooms, one steak of 170 gr, 2 potatoes, tonight maybe some chicken filet or two boiled eggs. I will eat an orange or apple in afternoon.

Sounds ok?

Just saw that the amount of veggies takes a whole wok, maybe should try to leave some for tomorrow .. hmm?
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM by nescio.)
01-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Have you figured out how much grams of protein your getting?

This was something I neglected in the past and sort of got away with and just focused on calories. I was aiming to bulk. I believe I missed out however on lean mass gains.

I'm aiming for 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight. I also. Found out that while 30-40 grams of protein is optimal at 1 time and any more than that is wasted is for the most part complete garbage. So getting my protein in is going to be a hell of a lot easier. I will try spread it out but nothing impractical.

My routine now is built round fixing my anterior pelvic tilt. Turns out I have extremely weak glutes compared to just about any body part.

Also getting a treadmill. I want my cardio to be up to royal marine standards and I want to put on lean muscle.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2016, 03:54 AM by Rick91.)
01-05-2016, 03:53 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Well, I looked up that site from 007 and found it a bit fconfusing, a lot of theory and not straight to the point, no charts, nothing. It did tell me however I need around 170 gr of proteins, 60 g of fat and 160 gr of carbs a day more or less. Does that sound right?

If I look at charts that's not at all what I got. It would mean I'd need quite some rice or potatoes and more meat. Pretty sure the fat is covered by olive oil.
01-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nescio Offline
Lieutenant

Tomorrow first session. I'm a bit nervous for my knees. Would it still be possible to get intense training leaving out squats and deadlifts? Focussing on the bench, dumbells, lat pull down, chin ups, pull ups, classic stomach muscle training and some leg training? I feel like squats and especially deadlifts might be too hard on my knees to get them fucked again. I know it's pretty gay as it's the most efficient, but if I fuck my knees again I won't be able to lift at all.
01-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Find Reply