Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korea: The Final Chapter
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Korea: The Final Chapter
My last go in Korea is upon us. I have got all my documents ready and have began emailing recruiters. I have emailed 27 recruiters so far between last night and today. I am noticing a lot of jobs are for end of February, but I am not looking to hang around in the US that much longer.

For this go around, I am only gonna accept a position in Seoul, Daegu, or Busan. No more 2nd tier cities. I am also excluding all kindy and pre school positions (which is a lot) so my search is at a disadvantage from the jump.

Not sure if I will stay the entire time. Strong possibility I jump ship come summer/fall and go to Vietnam. If not I will be there for sure next winter. Unless by some slight chance I get offered a tempting International School job for August.

Goal is to pay off my last two credit cards in the first 4 months im in Korea, then get some start up money to allow me to relocate to another country if I choose. Will be such a relief to finally be debt free and not making dumb ass payments every month. That has really held me back and limited my options the last few years or so.

Hopefully I can find an ideal job fairly soon. Looking to start in January. Some recruiter last night was trying to offer me a job where I would be the only foreign teacher starting out but they were hiring 2 more in February. Offered 2.4 million won which is fairly decent. Didnt like the circumstances though so I passed. However, 2.4-2.5 million won would be ideal.

As of now I have a middle grades math license but I am gonna come back to the states in September and take the high school math exam. Its a much more desirable certification to have. Then go balls deep into the International School scene in 2017.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 07:40 AM by Dash Global.)
12-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
RE: Korea: The Final Chapter
Seems like you just can't enough of that place, Dash. Big Grin

What is this...your 4th job in Korea?

Admit it. You've got a soft spot in your heart for Korea.

You should meet up with SB. Curious to see if he's a tool in real life too...
12-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Korea is just beyond convenient. What can I say.

Although, the night I leave for good, you can be sure a grand party and night of debauchery is in order.

12-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shanked's post:
  • SpecialEd
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
I wish i went to korea. Japan is an abysmal place and my perception of it before i came was all screwed up. Might do a review on japan after i go to tokyo
12-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(12-18-2015, 09:01 AM)Shanked Wrote: I wish i went to korea. Japan is an abysmal place and my perception of it before i came was all screwed up. Might do a review on japan after i go to tokyo

Bro, Id gladly switch Seoul for Tokyo. So much more diversity in nightlife in Tokyo. So many more different scenes. For example Seoul doesnt even have one good Latin bar. Tokyo has numerous good Latin bars.

12-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deez's post:
  • SpecialEd
Deez Offline
Gunner

Even though it’s a depressing shithole, Korea has the ability to keep sucking you in due to the easy cash and lifestyle teachers there have. I know if I ever got to a desperate situation, I would consider going back. It would have to be a last resort though, and my life would have to be terribly fucked up.
12-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
(12-18-2015, 09:01 AM)Shanked Wrote: I wish i went to korea. Japan is an abysmal place and my perception of it before i came was all screwed up. Might do a review on japan after i go to tokyo

Tell us more.

I thought Tokyo was pretty legit, but I never made it out into the provinces...

(12-18-2015, 09:13 AM)Dash Global Wrote:

Bro, Id gladly switch Seoul for Tokyo. So much more diversity in nightlife in Tokyo. So many more different scenes. For example Seoul doesnt even have one good Latin bar. Tokyo has numerous good Latin bars.

Aside from Tokyo, Seoul has the best nightlife in the Orient.

Nothing to gripe about...I pulled every weekend I went there.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 10:49 AM by SpecialEd.)
12-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(12-18-2015, 10:47 AM)SpecialEd Wrote: Aside from Tokyo, Seoul has the best nightlife in the Orient.

Nothing to gripe about...I pulled every weekend I went there.

Id take Shanghai and possibly Taipei over Seoul as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 10:56 AM by Dash Global.)
12-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
I'll be going to tokyo in a few weeks for new years. I'm hoping it's very different to the city I've been living in otherwise Japan really does not have any redeeming qualities. I've been holding back from writing anything about Japan until I spend some time in a bigger city otherwise the whole thread is just going to be me slamming japan.
12-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(12-18-2015, 11:02 AM)Shanked Wrote: I'll be going to tokyo in a few weeks for new years. I'm hoping it's very different to the city I've been living in otherwise Japan really does not have any redeeming qualities. I've been holding back from writing anything about Japan until I spend some time in a bigger city otherwise the whole thread is just going to be me slamming japan.

Yea 2nd tier is East Asia id imagine is the same as 2nd tier in Korea. Fucking sucks. Major city or bust.
12-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
SpecialEd Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
One thing I've noticed about Asian countries is they all tend to have what you call "primate cities".

All the action - and population- is in one place.

In Japan, it's Tokyo. In Korea ...Seoul. Thailand=Bangkok. Etc....

It's really quite different from Western nations where you have half a dozen decent sized cities to live in.

The moral of the story is if you do Asia... you need to live in the primate city.
12-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

Size isnt the issue with a lot of Asian cities. The problem is Western comforts and diversity.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM by Dash Global.)
12-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
pygmalion2 Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Dash, if you think Seoul is hard, then Shanghai and Taipei won't be that far off honestly...

There are about a million foreigners in both cities now -- There is not much of a foreign exotic factor left in Shanghai at least. You need a bankroll similar to HK, or else you need to be a tall good looking blonde guy to fuck several girls a week there
12-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
Yeah very true. Actually I think in Japan any city with over 1 million people no longer has the small town city vibe. But Japan still has the work you to the bone mentality among many other undesirable qualities. Some of my students have worked everyday for the past 25 days this month and they don't get time off Christmas.. but neither do I.

Living here has forced me to be more efficient otherwise I have no free time. Anyway I'll report back soon
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 11:24 AM by Shanked.)
12-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Global Offline
Lieutenant

(12-18-2015, 11:22 AM)pygmalion2 Wrote: Dash, if you think Seoul is hard, then Shanghai and Taipei won't be that far off honestly...

There are about a million foreigners in both cities now -- There is not much of a foreign exotic factor left in Shanghai at least. You need a bankroll similar to HK, or else you need to be a tall good looking blonde guy to fuck several girls a week there

I have never said Seoul was hard. 2nd tier cities maybe yea, but not Seoul. Plenty of Western bars and clubs Korean girls go to that are looking for Waygook dick. Ratios and logistics can be a bitch sometimes though.
Job offer in Seodaemoon which is like right beside Hongdae but it dont start until mid Feb. Fuck.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 03:56 PM by Dash Global.)
12-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Find Reply