Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible to learn coding/programming in a year?
[-]
  •
pygmalion2 Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
Possible to learn coding/programming in a year?
Is it possible to self-teach yourself coding and programming, something like python or c++, or one of those other lucrative coding languages that will land you tons of jobs in one year or less?

Being a freelance coder or programmer in Thailand or Vietnam has got to be pretty easy, and a decent way to make a living there.
03-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rick91's post:
  • pygmalion2
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
RE: Possible to learn coding/programming in a year?
I'm working on this and I'm following the same route in Thailand.

I'm doing a massive web developer course on udemy which is good but to truly understand and have mastery over a language is something that you can't rush and you need in depth material.

I'm starting with javascript (obviously have a decent grasp on html and css they're easy). What is of utmost importance is the structure in what you learn it otherwise you'll be getting stuck and go through bouts of confusion for years.

This course roadmap and layout gives a roadmap to learning it properly. I can't tell you how much I appreciate having a logical structure to learning something. Most of the resources are free.
http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn...-properly/

If done full time it should take you between 6-8 weeks from complete beginner to intermediate due to my work situation it's going to take me a lot longer. The majority of coders I imagine learn most of there stuff by themselves. I enrolled in a college course which was a complete waste of time. Learned more in 2 weekends by myself than I would have in 10 weeks on the course.

My plan is to build my bankroll to around £9000-12000 within a year from my labour job and to be earning from online freelance work before I embark next January. From what I have heard once you know html,css and JavaScript there should be no shortage of work. That's the basic framework I'm going to learn then pick more lucrative languages once I'm set up. JavaScript is pretty in demand I seen even Indians and Pinays charging near $15-20 an hour and westerners charging $40-50 on upwork.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016, 07:22 PM by Rick91.)
03-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJ Roberts's post:
  • pygmalion2
JJ Roberts Offline
Lieutenant

Started coding at the age of 11 back in 1981 and can now code in about 3 dozen languages (if you include scripting languages) . Did it for a living for about 20 years.

All of the best coders are creative problem solvers and the language itself is just a means of expressing the solution to the problem.

Anyone who is good at this skill can pick up a new programming language in one or two days. Sometimes in a couple of hours.

Learning the language is therefore not the challenge.
03-21-2016, 03:33 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
nomadphilippines Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
what is the end game if you learn programming and are working from home? how do find new work?

outside of programming what other skill would be a good one to learn? i also took a programming class in college but thought it was really hard, i hate things that are either pass/fail, one mistake and its all fucked

i just quit poker, i have some other stuff to do but not much, this would be a good time to learn something that may be worth while
avid follower of this site that helps you find girls anywhere: http://guysnightlife.com
friends blog: http://nomadphilippines.com/

03-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Website Find Reply
[-] The following 4 users Like calamansi's post:
  • geekindex, pygmalion2, Rick91, TideRide
calamansi Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
(03-21-2016, 03:33 AM)JJ Roberts Wrote: Started coding at the age of 11 back in 1981 and can now code in about 3 dozen languages (if you include scripting languages) . Did it for a living for about 20 years.

All of the best coders are creative problem solvers and the language itself is just a means of expressing the solution to the problem.

Anyone who is good at this skill can pick up a new programming language in one or two days. Sometimes in a couple of hours.

Learning the language is therefore not the challenge.

Isn't your reply a bit misleading? Pyg was asking about learning to program, not about a seasoned vet learning a new language.

Pyg, if you've never programmed before, "learning to program" is not just about learning which commands do what. It's more about learning how programming is done and the core concepts that allows you to do things. No matter what language you learn, you need to learn what arrays are and how to use them, for example. What is a database and how is it used, etc. This is the learning that takes time. Learning concepts and when and where they can be used to make things easier.

What JJ means is that ONCE YOU KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM, learning a new programming language doesn't take much time because many programs are very similar and all you're really doing is learning the new syntax. Some languages want a semi-colon on every line, some on the last line only. Some loops are valid in some language, not in others. That type of thing. That's what he means when he says someone can pick up a new language in a couple of hours. But learning the long list of exceptions in a couple of hours by heart? Forget it. You'll be looking up how to do things in your new language for a lot longer than a day unless you have the memory of an elephant and can remember every small detail photographically.

As for the "all the best programmers are creative", I'd hate to see people who aren't all that creative be discouraged by this line. Yeah, sure, the most creative people come up with the most creative solutions (if a creative solution is even needed) and if they know how to code they can easily bring their ideas to reality. But you don't need to be creative to have a career in programming. There are lots of very non-creative things out there on the net. All you need to do is know how to turn an idea into code. What someone tells you they want a 10-page website with this and that and the other thing, you'll be able to do it without having to be creative at all.

If I say, "do this and make it look nice", then yes, the most creative will be able to follow the very vague instruction of "making it look nice". But if I tell you I want a site that does this and uses these pictures in a carousel and has these menus and the menus act a certain way, etc., then anyone can turn that into code, creative or not. There's no need to be creative at all if the client tells you exactly what they want. Also, creativity is something you can develop to a certain extent. You see ideas elsewhere and incorporate them into your own work. You don't need to be inventive.

How long it takes you learn how to code depends on how much time you put into it. If you're putting in full days, you might learn to be proficient in your first language in four to six months. But coding is one of those things you never stop learning. There's always new technologies coming out that you need to learn and the moment you stop is the moment you start to fall behind. You'll always need to stay on top of things but learning those new things isn't that hard once you're steeped in it.

Half of coding is hunting down bugs anyway. LOL. Peculiarities of the language you weren't aware of or a misplaced comma can take hours to figure out and fix.
03-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Mr Yorkshire Offline
Stowaway

Calamansi great reply cheers mate.

What would you suggest for an absolute beginner learn in order to get into programming?

I'm currently looking at skills/careers that will let me travel whilst being good from an entrepreneurial standpoint and this sounds appealing.
03-24-2016, 03:54 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 3 users Like calamansi's post:
  • Mr Yorkshire, pygmalion2, Rick91
calamansi Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
^ It really depends on what you want to do. Of course, if you are sitting there thinking, "gee, I'd love to work from my computer and travel around the world... I wonder what would allow me to do that... oh, I got it! I'll learn how to code! What should I start with???", then you probably have no idea what you want to do beyond "I want a career that will allow me to work from my computer". LOL.

If that's the case, then at least narrow it down a bit.

Do you want to create websites for small businesses who just need a very basic static site for informational purposes? If so, it wouldn't take you more than a couple of weeks to learn how to use WordPress fairly well to be able to do that. Once you learn how to use WordPress to make a nice enough site, you can roll up your sleeves and dig into HTML, CSS, JS, PHP and MySQL so that you can go in and alter the code to customize the site. Or you can skip WordPress and dig in right away so that you learn from the ground up.

Do you want to build iOS apps for the iPhone? Buy a Mac and learn Objective C. Apps for Android? Java it is.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter that much what you start with because you'll probably end up learning a dozen different languages anyway. Every textbook you buy is going to start you off with "hello world!" and build on that so as long as it has "for beginners" in the title you should be fine.

Back in the day, I started with Basic on a Commodore PET, then basic on an Apple II, then an Apple II C, then a TI994A, then learned a bit of FORTRAN in college along with COBOL and a couple others I forget now and also dabbled in machine language. Nobody learns these anymore but that could be a benefit as an expert in COBOL could make great coin because there's so few people who know it anymore and many systems are still running programs from 20 years ago. Of course COBOL won't let you travel the world much. I just thought it was worth noting. (I was sorta headed toward a life in IT before I fucked it all up by moving to Japan. LOL)

Anyway, the takeaway here is that you shouldn't worry too much about your first language because it will absolutely not be your last if you plan to make a career out of it and pretty much any language you choose will teach you most of the fundamental concepts that you will need no matter what language you use. That said, you can have a look around on freelance job boards such as UpWork and see what technologies people are looking for and that will give you the best idea of where to start.

However, unless you're super passionate, lock yourself up in your room and totally nerd out, don't expect to be making $60/hr in six months at it. Be realistic.

The beautiful part about programming is that you don't always have to be working for someone else. You get an idea for a site or app that hasn't been done yet or that you can improve significantly and you could get lucky and make big bank with it. Not a lot of jobs give you that potential.
03-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Mr Yorkshire Offline
Stowaway

(03-24-2016, 05:32 AM)calamansi Wrote: The beautiful part about programming is that you don't always have to be working for someone else. You get an idea for a site or app that hasn't been done yet or that you can improve significantly and you could get lucky and make big bank with it. Not a lot of jobs give you that potential.

^This is the point that stands out to me, long term i see it as a valuable skill in building my own online business through a website or mobile app. Currently still at uni so looking at skills to work on at the same time as studying, think i'll give it a go.

Thanks for the detailed answer mate!
03-24-2016, 07:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
calamansi Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
No worries!

Do some searches, look around, find out what interests you. Don't just go off what I say. There's much much more knowledgeable people than me out there.
03-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I'm planning on doing this. Calamansi cheers for the great info.

Do you have any knowledge on how hard is it getting freelance work online? Say your willing to dedicate 2 hours a day on every major freelance site. What could you be expecting to earn at the start of your journey say you know only the basic html,css and JavaScript for starters?
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2016, 09:32 AM by Rick91.)
03-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
JJ Roberts Offline
Lieutenant

Add PHP to that list of basics if you want to start out doing web dev work.
03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
calamansi Offline
Lieutenant

Philippines
(03-24-2016, 03:31 PM)JJ Roberts Wrote: Add PHP to that list of basics if you want to start out doing web dev work.

Add PHP to my list of basics that includes PHP? LOL Wink
(03-24-2016, 09:30 AM)Rick91 Wrote: I'm planning on doing this. Calamansi cheers for the great info.

Do you have any knowledge on how hard is it getting freelance work online? Say your willing to dedicate 2 hours a day on every major freelance site. What could you be expecting to earn at the start of your journey say you know only the basic html,css and JavaScript for starters?

Getting work freelance online is easy as pie! Once you can put even a basic website together, all you have to do is throw up an ad and there's a good chance you'll get a customer by the end of the day! There are lots of people that would be happy to pay you $2, even $3 an hour! LOL

Actually, I don't have any experience with freelance sites. For this I can only go with what I've read and what makes sense. So many Filipinos and Indians are willing to work for $2/hr and a lot of them are quite good. The advantage we have is being Western and for other Westerners, that means we are more trustworthy that we'll do the job properly and are less likely to take the money and run. Plenty of Westerners do that but we're still comparatively more trustworthy in their eyes. You can't compete on price, so you'll have to deliver a better product and service if you want more than $2/hr. How do you show you can do that on a freelance site? You can't until you establish a reputation. You'll probably work for peanuts at first until you have a few five star reviews and then you can up your prices.

This is my dilemma too. How to find work. The best way to do it would be in a Western country where people are happy to pay you $2000 for a stupid simple 5-page website. But they won't do that if they found you on the net because if they're smart enough to look on the net and find you, they also found the Indians that work for 1/10th of that price. You gotta find the suckers who are willing to pay way too much for the real money.

I think if you start with freelancing you will have to work for shit money until you get a good rep and then you can start jacking your rates.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2016, 04:08 PM by calamansi.)
03-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Hicks Offline
Lieutenant

Peru
(03-24-2016, 03:47 PM)calamansi Wrote: This is my dilemma too. How to find work. The best way to do it would be in a Western country where people are happy to pay you $2000 for a stupid simple 5-page website. But they won't do that if they found you on the net because if they're smart enough to look on the net and find you, they also found the Indians that work for 1/10th of that price. You gotta find the suckers who are willing to pay way too much for the real money.

Have you ever tried using a lead generation company to target potential customers for you?
03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
TideRide Offline
Lieutenant

Afghanistan
How heavy is the competition for coding work from India, the Phils, etc

Is it a useful business model in the West to hire the Indians yourself and Bill your gringo customers Western rates?
03-26-2016, 03:28 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I'v heard it pretty common for people to do that.

I'v also heard you just don't get into competitions with Indians or pinoys as your basically dead in the water with anyone that would consider hiring them. Higher paying jobs will likely have a native English speakers only in the ad. Although totally not required for coding being a westerner will likely be your biggest strength and also weakness.

I'v heard of people having great success doing video proposals on job bid sites. I have no experience but I imagine if your not willing to put a lot of work into marketing yourself and trying out different strategies your not going to get far.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2016, 04:15 AM by Rick91.)
03-26-2016, 04:13 AM
Find Reply