• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inner peace, meditation and enlightenment
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
Inner peace, meditation and enlightenment
It's something I want to start heading for.

I think I need something to organise myself, collate my thoughts, build direction etc etc. I feel like a lot of my mind is going to waste being essentially a storage box to cram in any old shit. I think there are hang-ups and doubts from five years ago that I have long since forgotten about, but they seem to hang on to me inside my head like a tick.

Overall I'm getting more interested in good mental health after seeing a lot of friends suffering from depression and similar illness. I think that being at peace with myself and becoming free of as much internal and external stress as I can will put my brain in a good place, ready for the next 20 years.

I'm not quite ready to sell all my shit and live in a Tibetan monastery, but I'm honestly starting to move past material desires and really thinking about my place in the universe and getting my shit in order.

I'll be doing this in conjunction with working out, to get the mind body and soul all in tip-top condition. What is it people say? The best time to start was yesterday, the worst time is tomorrow.

Does anyone have any good starting points on these topics? Of course I can google it but I'd be interested to hear actual people's experiences.
09-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
RE: Inner peace, meditation and enlightenment
First, I honor you on this path, congratulations for this decision. 

Ok, there is my short answer and my very long answer. Short one: our spiritual journey/quest is something that we do not control. That means that we hit a certain block ask for help in any way, shape or form and then a helper appears and provided we are sincere enough and put enough effort into it, we grow. This analogy is also part of the hero's journey from Joseph Campbell.

[Image: 2000px-Heroesjourney.svg.png]

I know it sounds weird, but that's the way I found to grow the fastest. Ok, practically what it means is that what you are seeking right now is the right thing for you to grow. Your mind/universe/nature/god/spirit, whatever you want to call this stuff, delivers you the current solution to your current problem, what people call "manifestation".

Enlightenment is part of it, of course, as you have already discovered it is a path and not an endpoint. So any step you take in the direction of being more healthy, more kind, happier, honest brings you closer to enlightenment which is for me our ideal spiritual self, our "higher self". That's why any step in this direction makes you more attractive, more beautiful, more kind and more inner peace is blossoming. That is why some would people call it "becoming more like God". And that state removes any obstacle standing in front in life of you as long as you are sincere in your intentions. I understand it might sound weird.

More practically, that means that if you feel like you need to meditate, then you will grow from it and reach a point where maybe you'll stop to meditate, and that's ok. And that was the whole point of this introduction. There is no need for meditation as there is no need for playing basketball or knitting or whatever.

We choose to do it because we feel it's the right thing for us now. I actually started again to meditate this night when I woke up at 3 am.

What I like to do is to meditate 15 min in the morning, first thing when I wake up or after a shower/breakfast. I start going back at it first with 5 min, then increase to 10 then to 15. Many people would say 15 is not enough. I think it's up to everybody. 15 minutes a day is better than 30 minutes once a week. 

So whatever makes you feel comfortable. I just sit in a confortable position, eyes closed and just be. That's it. 

I hope this helps and that it's clear enough.
09-21-2016, 02:50 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
My mental health is so up and down. For me as ridiculous as it sounds it comes down to wanking too much. Has such a knock on effect on so much other aspects of life. Bummer is when I'm feeling anything negative even something as barely unpleasant as being slightly bored its my go to remedy.

I also plan on taking a spiritual journey my next trip. I won't be mediatating though I plan on immersing myself with training and fighting on a regular basis to gain some stability while at the same time doing and experiencing something profound that doesn't involve pussy.

Will still be slaying on the side but it will remain on the side.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2016, 06:08 AM by Rick91.)
09-21-2016, 06:07 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Shanked Offline
Lieutenant

Belize
Read eckhart tolle.  Awakening to your lifes purpose.

One of my favorite parts of the book.  'If you think you are enlightened, try living with your parents for a week'.  I've been going on a ental journey the past few months and the changes are huge.  It's also helped me become a winning player in online poker.

When you have control over your emotion, and the voice inside your head, you can actually change the way people behave around you by literally doing nothing.  And just being aware.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2016, 07:17 AM by Shanked.)
09-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes John Doe's post:
  • Shanked
John Doe Offline
Boatswain

Switzerland
You can also check out "Out of your mind" by Alan Watts. An audiobook. One of my favorites.
09-21-2016, 05:56 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Zolo's post:
  • Alex, TideRide
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
Tim Ferris recommends an app called headspace which is good for daily guided meditations. I just downloaded it.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
09-22-2016, 01:02 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
Cheers man, just downloaded it myself. Seems cool, ten minutes a day to learn is absolutely nothing. I'll start working on this before bed.
09-22-2016, 02:08 AM
Find Reply