• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betfair/betting exchange trading
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Betfair/betting exchange trading
Anyone any experience with this? Seems like it would be up your street Hicks? Just how hard is it to make long term profit trading on betting exchanges?
12-09-2016, 03:54 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Hicks's post:
  • Rick91, TideRide
Hicks Offline
Lieutenant

Peru
RE: Betfair/betting exchange trading
Always beware of people selling trading systems, it's basically the snake-oil of the gambling community.

Going back 5 or 6 years trading was possible but now it's even more difficult to do than actually beating the books.  Too many people became aware of it and now lines that can be hedged/arb'd rarely last long, and when books see those are the only lines you are betting on they will flag your account and it won't be long after that until you get banned.

Swing trading (betting on an event in anticipation of laying off after line movement) is something that's possible if you have a good knowledge of a sport and manage to catch the opening lines but it's risky and is basically just betting on the market movement as opposed to the event outcome.  I occassionally do this with MMA bets when I catch the openers and am pretty sure the line will move.  I will normally just bet 2/2.5x my normal stake and then look to lay off a % of my bet nearer the event depending on how far the line moved.

With any form of trading you are looking at a very small ROI and need a big bankroll to make any real money from it.  Also, any serious trader will have very advanced trading software now, so it's basically a tech-race to see who is more advanced and gets their trades made quickest.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2016, 11:23 PM by Hicks.)
12-09-2016, 11:21 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
JJ Roberts Offline
Lieutenant

Opened my betfair acc in 2004

Used to work in the same building as them and even went out for lunch with their CTO once

My betfair acc is still in profit from the very first bet I ever made (Rafa to become next Liverpool manager)

Stuck most of the profits in my pocket and left about 1k in the account to try and run it up by finding a reliable winning system

Couldn't find one so I have not used the account since

Honestly, you are better off just buying cheap index funds

There is no real gambling system that will beat it
12-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Sounds best to be avoided.

Will likely to match betting while in boracay and when that ceases to be worthwhile will likely head to Manila to do coach for profits poker course as well as the live poker scene.
12-11-2016, 01:48 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Prince Offline
Boatswain

there is a website that arrange the surebets so it makes it easier for you to bet on them.. yobetit.. i might have invitations.. im not sure
12-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
JJ Roberts Offline
Lieutenant

(12-15-2016, 10:50 PM)Prince Wrote: there is a website that arrange the surebets so it makes it easier for you to bet on them.. yobetit.. i might have invitations.. im not sure

And it still wont make you as much money as sticking your money into ETFs
12-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Prince Offline
Boatswain

(12-15-2016, 11:36 PM)JJ Roberts Wrote:
(12-15-2016, 10:50 PM)Prince Wrote: there is a website that arrange the surebets so it makes it easier for you to bet on them.. yobetit.. i might have invitations.. im not sure

And it still wont make you as much money as sticking your money into ETFs

Agree. The thing about surebets is that you are sure do make that profit placing that pair of bets. But on the long run, i shall agree with you (we might be wrong tho)
12-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Find Reply