Summer in West Africa
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
Summer in West Africa
Sup nomads.

This summer I am going to spend a couple of months in Sierra Leone doing some work. My original plan was to spend a few days after finishing the work chilling on the Freetown peninsula beaches before flying back home but the more I think about it the more I think I could do a bit of an overland trip for this.

Right now I'm thinking I can head north through Guinea, Guinea-Bissau and southern Senegal to Gambia, where I can pick up a cheap flight back to the UK. In terms of destinations outside the big cities I'd like to head to the Bijagos archipelago just out from Bissau, cap Skirring in Senegal and maybe somewhere in central Guinea (avoiding Zolo's infamous Journey from Hell if possible). Splitting time between cities, beaches and jungles sounds perfect for me.

Any Africa fans here have some input?
[Image: 3kQPfVw.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2017, 01:16 AM by Alex.)
04-09-2017, 01:03 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
RE: Summer in West Africa
Looks good man!

I'd also pop into Monrovia, Liberia too for a party. Liberian girls are famous for threesomes! haha
Labe and around northern Guinea is beautiful.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
04-13-2017, 12:40 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Tungsten Offline
Stowaway

Alex, it sounds great but you will find (if you haven't already) that the visa costs will really mount up. The crappier a country the harder they make it to get in. If somewhere insists on an outward ticket you'll be stuck at the border (or pay ?). Unless you can get all your visas in Freetown before you start.
I remember planning something similar a few years ago and giving up due to the expense and red tape. I stayed in SL for two months
I've been to all of them but was inland in Guinea and only spent an (illegal) morning on the beach in GB. The Casamance region of southern Senegal is great but Gambia is purely for tourists although if you do make the trip you might appreciate that at the end. Although it's low season till October so a lot of places will be closed.
As Gambia is small and mostly Muslim most of the bargirls are from SL and Liberia. They were stunned when I could chat with them about their crappy hometowns as none of the tourists in Gambia know or care. A friend just came back from Bissau and liked it and the Bijagos sound great.
Good luck
04-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Alex Offline
Lieutenant

Poland
Yeah man, SL is £100 plus, Guinea 100eur plus and Bissau... Who knows? No info available. I'd imagine it's cheaper to pick them up in SL though. Yeah For Gambia I was just looking forward to some tourist-level R&R before going back to class (as well as cheap flights compared to the rest of WA).

Zolo cheers about Labe, I might go and check it out. I was really considering Monrovia but the city seems kinda shitty, apart from the nightlife. Might see if I can get a cheap hopper flight across to Monrovia from Freetown for a weekend.

Either way will bring some Freetown updates to you guys.
04-14-2017, 01:04 AM
Find Reply