• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bangkok Apartments - best sites, locations and prices
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Bangkok Apartments - best sites, locations and prices
Just booked my one way flight to Bangkok for 4 months time. Yet to dig up any info. Anyone got any worth while advice feel free to add. I'm looking for monthly apartments maybe more.

I'v also heard its possible to get places for as low as 4000 baht. Any info is appreciated i'l add when i come across some.
01-03-2013, 02:46 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
RE: Bangkok Apartments - best sites, locations and prices
I'm heading down to glasgow to the thai embassy to sort out a visa. I'm aiming for the one that allows 3 months stays before you need a stamp. Any experience doing this? Tips would be appreciated.

I'm planning on about a year mostly based in thailand other than visa runs. I'l be doing the majority of south east asia over 3 years though. I'd say 10000 baht would definitely be about maximum. Is it best to go the online route?
01-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 2 users Like RockingForever's post:
  • Dom Taurus, somalipirate
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Yeah you're best trying to get the 90 day visa. Though aren't you planning to train muay thai? I know some gyms will help you get an 'education' visa for one year when training, so that might work better for you if you don't want to have to do visa renewals etc.

10,000 max isn't much for a comfortable apartment, you'd be better trying to up that by a couple of thousands baht minimum to get somewhere decent, with a good location and close to transport links.

PR Place by Ratchethewi BTS (Skytrain, close to the airport link) have rooms from around 10,000B and up.
http://prplacebangkok.com/

VP Tower near Victory Monument BTS from about 11,000 up.
http://www.vptower.com/

21 Living Place near Victory Monument from 14,000B upwards.
http://www.21livingplace.com/

How are you funding this 3 years in Asia if you don't mind me asking? What's your overall monthly budget whilst there?
01-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
I have about £8000 saved. I have yet to research what i will budget in depth but from what i hear about £500 is quite doable. This was a fighters budget including training expenses. Perhaps 3 years is a bit ambitious but if i have the means i would like to stay out in SEA for 3 years. May head to the cheaper countries for longer periods if things are looking bleak.

My plan was getting as good at muay thai (striking but will also take up bjj) as i possibly can getting as much fights as i can, ideally once a week just like the thai's minus injury that is. From what i hear starters get about 5000 baht per fight with your gym taking a 20 per cent cut. So thats about 80 quid a week you would clear win or lose. From what i hear you may also have the chance to gamble on yourself to win. Potentially double or nothing.

I have heard of guys getting a lot cheaper apartments that were alright. They said westerners are usually charged double. Your best bet is befriending one of the locals and getting a helping hand. I got that info from fightpassport.
01-04-2013, 05:32 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
We will see.
I think i'm going to win.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM by Rick91.)
01-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Yeah i get you. Having a blast is of massive importance to me. Really it will depend on how the fighting goes. Location is of major importance, im going to need somewhere with easy access to a gym that suits my needs and also reasonable access to nightlife.

He said after getting a location your best to get a cheap hotel for a few days and scout the area for possible offers. Befriending thai's can be highly beneficial. You can avoid the standard double price that all farangs are subjected to this way with their help.

Also whats more important. To be walking distance from nightlife or skytrain (is it 24 hours and cheap). What nightlife area would you recommend for girls? I hear of a place called RCA mentioned a lot and that some other area is basically just used as a last resort for after hours shoring (sukhimivit or something).

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2013, 12:44 AM by Rick91.)
01-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Cheers for the info.
I'v yet to research in depth what gym i'l likely be attending but somewhere central will be most likely.

If you can get a thai who you trust, (likely a girl who speaks good english who is somewhat well Off e.g. not a likely scammer) then it may seriously be worth looking into the apartments meant for thai's. Your literally talking about getting past the farang double pricing standard HERE. I'v spoken to a guy who's say you can get reasonably comfortable apartments for 6000 baht in bangkok if you know where to look. 8000 baht for same quality in phuket.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2013, 02:52 AM by Rick91.)
01-05-2013, 02:42 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

I'm sure you can but just because you have a thai with you negotiating doesn't mean you get thai prices. I used to have thai girls call to apartment complexes to enquire about prices or arrange visits and the people on the phone would always ask if it was for her or someone else or tell her one price then when we'd go visit and they'd see the white face the price would go up.

You need to just accept that as a foreigner, even one living there with thai friends, you get charged more. There are three prices for everything in Thailand, the local price, the expat who's lived there a while and can speak some thai and knows the score price and the dumb tourist price.

You definitely can get apartments for 6,000 but not in a prime location and they are not aimed at tourists so finding them is more difficult plus likely the real price is 3-4000 and as a white man you're getting charged double anyway.

I'm sensing your a total cheapskate, aye?
01-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Yeah, gold-diggers hate that about me.
01-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
shibby Offline
Stowaway

(01-04-2013, 04:10 AM)RockingForever Wrote: Yeah you're best trying to get the 90 day visa. Though aren't you planning to train muay thai? I know some gyms will help you get an 'education' visa for one year when training, so that might work better for you if you don't want to have to do visa renewals etc.

10,000 max isn't much for a comfortable apartment, you'd be better trying to up that by a couple of thousands baht minimum to get somewhere decent, with a good location and close to transport links.

PR Place by Ratchethewi BTS (Skytrain, close to the airport link) have rooms from around 10,000B and up.
http://prplacebangkok.com/

VP Tower near Victory Monument BTS from about 11,000 up.
http://www.vptower.com/

21 Living Place near Victory Monument from 14,000B upwards.
http://www.21livingplace.com/

How are you funding this 3 years in Asia if you don't mind me asking? What's your overall monthly budget whilst there?

Hey RF, I've never been to BKK. Is being near Victory Monument a good location? i.e. close to good nightlife (not hooker nightlife) and transport etc? Also, do you know if all these apartments you listed are girl friendly?

Thanks for the intel, appreciate it.
01-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Victory Monument is a decent area, on the skytrain line with some good bars and restaurants around plus both skytrain stops at either side of Victory Monument have good bars that make ideal date spots plus it's a few stops away from most other nightlife areas you'll likely go to.

Not 100% confirmed they are girl friendly but they should be, check the websites and email to ask. They know the score and will let you know if they are or not before you book.
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
shibby Offline
Stowaway

What about this apartment at PR Place by Ratchethewi BTS
Is this also in a decent area?
01-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Found an excellent site on apartments. Type into google tee-pak bangkok. Just type in the area you want to stay in search bar and it will come up with apartments and hotels. It usefully comes up with the monthly rates as well which are about a third of the price if you were to pay nightly.

It has the cheapest prices i have seen to date. I think the reason for this is most hotels don't have the monthly rates on there websites. Check it out if your in bangkok for a few months.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013, 01:26 AM by Rick91.)
03-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

Someone recommended me a place beside On Nut BTS for 6,000B per month, they reckon it's good, but I can't remember the name.
03-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Rick91 Offline
Lieutenant

United Kingdom
Would you say getting a cheaper yet higher quality apartment which is further away from nightlife yet walkable to bts with good amenities nearby is basically ideal? I mean your pretty much going to have to get a taxi to near all clubs anyway.

Any areas you would recommend for searching?

03-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Find Reply