• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Somalia Thread
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
The Somalia Thread
So, as some of you may know, my friends and I are hopefully venturing in Somalia next month (visas pending). At the moment, the country is split into roughly three parts: Somaliland (safe-ish), Puntland (dangerous), and Southern Somalia (really fucking dangerous).

We are almost certainly going to get into Somaliland. It's relatively safe, the visa is handy, and we will require minimum security to get around (only two armed guards for less than $20 a pop).

But it's just not piratey enough. We want something a bit more thrilling. Puntland is out for logistical reasons. (Overland from Somaliland is impossible due to conflict and flights and visas are expensive and cumbersome to get). Plus, there's nothing to see.

So now, we are flirting with laying siege to hell on earth, Mogadishu, the most dangerous city in the world. Overland travel is suicide as the city is besieged by Al-Shabab, so flying in and out is the only option. It's not that expensive. Plus, I've already talked with the embassy in Addis Ababa and I'm able to secure visas.

HOWEVER, there are BIG problems...

Armed guards are a must and hotels are $1500 a night! (That's because they offer armed guards 24/7 and receive only journalists and diplomats). We don't have that kinda cash so we hope to stay at an undisclosed location and hire private security for the whole time we're there. My Somali contacts tell me as soon as we touch down in the airport, we will be targeted and our every move tracked. Officials are as much the enemy as Islamists and other kidnappers. This is some serious shit so we're not taking chances. We need guns for hire and transport.

We are struggling to get info and contacts.

If ANYONE know anyone in the country or with ties to the country LET ME KNOW ASAP.

It probably won't happen, but doesn't mean I'm not gonna try and pull this excursion off.
The Blog: naughtynomad.com Wink
Facebook: Click here
Twitter: @naughtynomad
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM by Zolo.)
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
RE: The Somalia Thread
Good luck, I wanna hear about this trip.

Id go overkill on the protection and security. I can imagine homeboys wont take to kindly to you and your mates macking the local women!
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
In fairness, women is the last thing on my mind. It's a strict Islamic war-torn shithole and we're looking at going Monday to Wednesday. I'd be happy just to find somewhere that serves beer.
01-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
The Realness Offline
Lieutenant

you're one bad motherf*cker man....chances of something going really wrong are just to high imo. think about going there in the future during possibly better days, perhaps then you will have better contacts on the ground
01-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

You fucking mad bastard. Big Grin

I'd stick with Somaliland if I was you.
01-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Tomtud Offline
Gunner

Buy an Islamic prayer cap and Quran to travel with. Say inshallah (god willing) after every conversation. Just saw the locked up abroad episode where two Aussies were kidnapped. Not an ideal place to go. But, try the I'm a new Muslim routine. Might prevent you from being targeted as a non believer by some Islamist.
01-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

(01-10-2013, 12:20 AM)Tomtud Wrote: Buy an Islamic prayer cap and Quran to travel with. Say inshallah (god willing) after every conversation. Just saw the locked up abroad episode where two Aussies were kidnapped. Not an ideal place to go. But, try the I'm a new Muslim routine. Might prevent you from being targeted as a non believer by some Islamist.

But how will they see his prayer cap under his Mexican pirate hat? Wink
01-10-2013, 02:14 AM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes mistersnort's post:
  • The Realness
mistersnort Offline
Banned

The only thing that will get you killed faster than being an american in somalia is being an american pretending to be muslim in somalia. I'd stick to the north if I was you, its not too bad from what a somali told me. Understand you may be targetted for kidnapping if you go to the south and that your body guards can even be willing to sell you to kidnappers who may be willing to pay them more than you are paying.
01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Ryan Offline
Boatswain

United Kingdom
He's not american. He's Irish lol

You're fucking crazy Mark, fucking crazy
01-12-2013, 12:29 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
ralphio Offline
Stowaway

Just had a quick look at Mogadishu on google, I can see the attraction:

[Image: 1282730451-organized-attack-kills-parlia...419707.jpg]

[Image: ceelasha61.jpg]

Nightlife looks good though...

[Image: somalia-mogadishu-nightlife.jpg]

GOOD LUCK!!
[Image: 600_somalia.jpg]

"No Mr. Zolo, I do not want to play this 'rape game'! "
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 04:37 AM by ralphio.)
01-12-2013, 04:30 AM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
Jesus, those pics don't inspire confidence.
The whole thing is still up in the air to be honest.
The good thing is I'm travelling with a solid crew of five men (one who is actually Somali-Irish).
The bad thing is I'm still trying to convince all of them that going there is a good idea!
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM by Zolo.)
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
RockingForever Offline
Lieutenant

What will you actually be able to see and do whilst there considering it's so dangerous? Surely going anywhere will be a real risk to your life and what is there that you want to see so much or is it just the danger aspect that appeals to you?
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Find Reply
[-]
  •
bigbootyluvr Offline
Boatswain

DO NOT go to somalia!!!! holy fuck bro....don't do it. You are truly playing russian roullette! I always weigh the return on investment (ROI) of a country....to go there, they'd have to have women with golden rooster eggs being laid out of their pussies, and even then i'd give it thought! FACT: Somalia has not had an operational government since 1991. It is run by warlords and is lawless. Have a dispute? Who's going to arrest you? They'll just behead you, kidnap you, or put a bullet in you. Remember WHITE = MONEY, all around the world. They see your irish azz and they will see dollar signs and major network attention...

Al-Shabab may just be the most militant of all the Islamic groups, and you would be a top prize...It is simply not worth it! Worse of all, the Irish, UK, or USA govt's would be totally helpless do anything to negotiate a release. As a fellow lover of wine, women, and rump, I ask you to please re-think this one.
01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Find Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zolo's post:
  • Misery
Zolo Offline
El Capitan

Malta
I'll be real with you guys, I already booked my flight.

We can't secure visas till Addis though, so it's still not 100%.

It may be the stupidest thing I've ever done, but if something does happen me and my crew,
at least we went out the way we would have liked - on an adventure.

This isn't about girls nor glory, it's about facing our fears, testing our limits, and to go where no Mexican pirate has ever gone before.
My dream in life has always been to travel to every country, and unless I go the heart of Mogadishu, that dream is left unfilled.
How can I say I've been to Somalia without visiting it's capital. I don't care what demons lay in the way.

I can't help it, it's something my blood. It's the man in me, the warrior in me, who has no wars to fight nor scars to show.

Avast!
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM by Zolo.)
01-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Website Find Reply
[-]
  •
Dash Offline
Los Mas Suelto

South Korea
Should be alright with a decent sized security team well armed. So long as you dont hang around for a significant time for word to spread.

Just make sure there isnt some large rebel group causing havoc in the city at present when you arrive.

Good luck. Will make for a hell of a story
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Find Reply